Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Scary Ned posted:

Wow, that is one fluffy butt.

Don't have a dog but I support this thread, mutts own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

GI_Clutch posted:

I just got my mutt tonight. His name is Ollie and according to the rescue, he is a lab/Australian Shepherd mix. He is eight weeks old and likes chewing toys, whimpering when I am out of sight for three seconds, and peeing on the floor. He is the best. :3:

Whoa, the marking on top of your dog's head is awesome. It's like he's wearing a little space hat or something. Or a pretty headdress. :3:

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Master_Jay posted:

Forgot to add, at the shelters around here, a mutt can sometimes be 350 dollars.

Yeah but in that case the money is going to an animal shelter rather than some stupid BYB.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Sharpie Fix posted:

We bought Casey when she was 3 months old from in front of the Petco I worked at on December 20th 2007.

I hate to ask but what does this mean? You got it from one of those rescue kiosks or someone was selling dogs in the parking lot?

And yes, it is very important to have matching/coordinating pets. Makes it easier to match them to the furniture. ;)

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Sharpie Fix posted:

Really, I equate these kind of "OMG BYB!" posts as an passive way to say "I wish your dog had never been born". You just can't say this to a person that loves and cares for their dog that actually exists. I would never say this about anyone's pet, byb or otherwise. If anything, I might say that I wish a pet had never been in the wrong hands. Spend your time educating people not to breed or buy byb puppies in the first place if they can help it, not chastizing owners of dogs that happen to have come from those situations.

Yes, we were on our way to the shelter that night to look at dogs. Yes, we had been planning on getting a dog. This was not a whim. I feed this dog incredibly high quality food, and sometimes raw. She eats better than I do and sees the vet more often than I see a doctor. My dog is my child, and I'm out for her best interests.

I feel justified in having brought her home, and part of that was genuine concern that she would not make it through the process of being refused to be bought (she was one of the last for her temperament, not because she was ugly), neglected by the mother's owners (she was almost 5 lbs underweight), given away to some family that just wants a "free" cute little puppy ($25 is a drop in the bucket of $4K we have spent on her general care and health in the last 20 months - I can give you the numbers if you like), and then off to a shelter because the kids in the family scared the crap out of her and she bit them - or she was beaten because she pissed all over the carpets because they couldn't afford to take her to the vet and find out she had a UTI. If it wasn't me, then who would it be? Should I have just watched the shelter sites like a hawk waiting for her to show up 3 or 4 months later? Would she even make it to being adopted after all that trauma? Or would she be another numbered casualty in the Humane Society statistics?

But I digress...Think of ME what you will. Casey is an awesome dog, and there is nothing I would do to take back all the veterinary expenses, restless days, late night walks, and training frustrations.

"How could you say that about me?"

I'm more of a cat person and there's pretty much no such thing as a responsibly bred cat. There're either morons letting their pet cats become mommies or there're stray cats/ferals getting knocked up and spraying kittens all over because that is what cats do. No one who cares about cats resents cats for being born, everyone wants the cats to all have loving homes and the best care. The more cats there are, the more impossible this becomes because resources are limited. When rescues won't let cats be adopted without spaying and neutering, when they trap ferals, alter them and release them, they are just trying to improve the future for the cats that aren't here yet. The best way to do this is reduce the number of cats that need to share those resources.

It's not about your individual dog, it's about solving the problem of pet overpopulation. At this point, where your dog came from doesn't really matter. It'd be pointless to feel guilty about it either way at this point so don't bother. Your dog was born, he needed a home just like any other dog. It's just important for people to understand that "rescuing" dogs from lovely breeders and pet stores does nothing but give irresponsible people money to create more and more dogs that need to be "rescued" while thousands of other dogs go homeless or have to be killed.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Ceridwen posted:

Chocolate ball!

Rusty looking regal:

Both dogs (ignore the purebred golden we are petsitting):

Bonus pic of Megatron (my cousin's 6 month old GSD mix):

It is evident from your pictures that Rusty KNOWS how pretty he is. He is pretty :smug: about it too.

Also "Megatron" is a hilarious dog name. I think it would only be funnier on a hamster or something.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Whispering Machines posted:

Although this dog belongs to my best friends family (if its not okay to post this I'll remove it), it's pretty much exactly what I love in a dog (huuuuge, fluffy and friendly) I thought I'd share Hunter. He's 4-5mo old, is about as tall as me when he put his paws on my shoulders (I'm 5'7" and yes I told him to get down).

I'm thinking bear x moose.

I think they might have the dna thingy that tells what he actually is, but I'm thinking maaaybe part duck tolling retriever? He's sort of got the markings and fluffy tail and head shape. His tail does curl up like a husky, which my friend thinks he has in him. If I find out for sure what he is, I'll let you guys know :) And he has crimped looking fur around his ears and butt :3:

Geez, if I didn't know better I'd say it WAS part bear . . . look at his face!

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Warbadger posted:

It's shedding season! Yayyyy!

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

I am so jealous of your awesome wolfdog (yes I know it's not really a wolf). :swoon: Well, except for said shedding season. I think I'd get over it though.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Brainwrong posted:

Sometimes he likes to wear a life jacket when he's on his motherfucking boat

He does have a soaring eagle pattern on his head which, along with his great posing abilities, suggests to me that he is at least part superhero dog (or "superdog" for short).

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

nitrogen posted:

Hi my name is Eli.

Polar bear x lion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

He's pure bathorsedog. His fur is so short, I can only imagine how fuzzy it feels. :3: