Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I need to replace the rear tire on the WR250X soon, and I've been having a confusing time trying to find compatible tires and tubes for it. Tubes are a whole new issue on their own that I'm learning about. Can someone weigh in on what's going on?

I ride highway or straight line a fair bit, and like to have dual compound. This tire is what some people recommend, but I've never been on a battlax that wasn't almost worn out, so they have always felt like garbage to me.
http://www.amazon.com/Bridgestone-BATTLAX-BT-003-Racing-Motorcycle/dp/B005J8WZLU

On this page this tire was recommended, but I'm not sure if it will hurt tubes?
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/michelin-pilot-street-radial-rear-tires

Tubes- Where on earth do I get proper tubes for this bike? I want to run heavy duty tubes, but all the bridgestone heavy duty seem to start at 100/100-18, with the only 17 sizes being flimsy normal tubes like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Bikemaster-Mo...Motorcycle+tube

Never having run tubes, am I going to be in trouble if I get a nail while far from home? There doesn't seem to be a roadside option to repair these. How worried about that should I be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Coydog posted:

I need to replace the rear tire on the WR250X soon, and I've been having a confusing time trying to find compatible tires and tubes for it. Tubes are a whole new issue on their own that I'm learning about. Can someone weigh in on what's going on?

I ride highway or straight line a fair bit, and like to have dual compound. This tire is what some people recommend, but I've never been on a battlax that wasn't almost worn out, so they have always felt like garbage to me.
http://www.amazon.com/Bridgestone-BATTLAX-BT-003-Racing-Motorcycle/dp/B005J8WZLU

On this page this tire was recommended, but I'm not sure if it will hurt tubes?
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/michelin-pilot-street-radial-rear-tires

Tubes- Where on earth do I get proper tubes for this bike? I want to run heavy duty tubes, but all the bridgestone heavy duty seem to start at 100/100-18, with the only 17 sizes being flimsy normal tubes like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Bikemaster-Mo...Motorcycle+tube

Never having run tubes, am I going to be in trouble if I get a nail while far from home? There doesn't seem to be a roadside option to repair these. How worried about that should I be?

You don't really need HD tubes unless you're going offroad. Just buy them from revzilla or amazon or wherever. If you want to go nuts about patching tubes, get a patch kit and a pump and some tire irons.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Thank you for clearing that up. So even for curb hopping and other hooliganry, standard is fine? I heard heavy duty reduces flats. I guess they don't protect against nails, so is this just for hitting rocks really hard, or jumping off of boulders, or whatever it is off roader's do?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Coydog posted:

Thank you for clearing that up. So even for curb hopping and other hooliganry, standard is fine? I heard heavy duty reduces flats. I guess they don't protect against nails, so is this just for hitting rocks really hard, or jumping off of boulders, or whatever it is off roader's do?

I think it's more for when you air them down to avoid pinch flats in which case definitely yes. But aired up I think there's no real difference. Anything that goes through your tire is going through your tube too. Going off curbs and such regular tubes should be fine, but you can run HD if you want, just don't run UHD as I've heard they can overheat if you go fast (70+). HD and UHD tubes are also more difficult to change if you end up doing that yourself.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I appreciate that info. There is so much I do not know. I ended up going with the Pilot Road with some normal tubes. The pilot road I chose because it has long life, which I need, and seems like a good tire. And because it was recommended a page back.

I know I'm going to try to do some fire trail or simple off road stuff soon, but people seem to do ok with their stock sumos running street tires. Once I get my feet wet and burn through this tire, I'll probably get some distanzas or maybe even some rad knobbies.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Coydog posted:

I appreciate that info. There is so much I do not know. I ended up going with the Pilot Road with some normal tubes. The pilot road I chose because it has long life, which I need, and seems like a good tire. And because it was recommended a page back.

I know I'm going to try to do some fire trail or simple off road stuff soon, but people seem to do ok with their stock sumos running street tires. Once I get my feet wet and burn through this tire, I'll probably get some distanzas or maybe even some rad knobbies.

I recommend going off-road. It is awesome. You can do dirt just fine with street tires as long as you're careful and don't go too fast. I rode around at green mountain over Christmas on an xs400 and it was fine. Quite stupid and neither great nor fast, but doable.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Is mixing a dual sport tire (80/20, front) with a street rear tire okay? I'm probably gonna just get a dual sport rear for now anyways but I am curious.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Schroeder91 posted:

Is mixing a dual sport tire (80/20, front) with a street rear tire okay? I'm probably gonna just get a dual sport rear for now anyways but I am curious.

Usually you want the tire with more traction on the front, so if you're offroad, sure, if you're on road, be careful.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Was thinking about getting a CB125e to replace my postie. I've got some good dual-sport type tyres on the postie, but it seems the CB125e has oddly-sized tyres that make finding specialty ones difficult:

code:
Front Tyre Size:	     	80/100 18M/C 47P (Kenda K291F)
Rear Tyre Size:	     	90/90 18M/C 51P (Kenda K328X)
Closest I could find was this Kenda from a US seller who doesn't ship to Australia: 100/90-18 KENDA K270 ENDURO Would that work on the rear but not on the front?

edit: Would this 100/100-18 work on the rear? Is in Australia, which is more helpful to me.

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Mar 10, 2016

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
General rule of thumb is that you can go up or down one size just fine, but there are exceptions.
Your current tire is 90mm wide by 81mm (90% of the width) tall. The 100/100 is 100mm wide by 100mm tall (100% of the width). That's 10mm wider and 19mm taller. The first number is width in mm and the second is height as a percentage of the width.
The main issue with going up in tire size is fitting the wheel back on without the tire rubbing on anything.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Has anyone tried the various PR4 variants? Tuono picked up a screw in the rear so I'm in the market. Was looking at PR4s and was just curious if anyone has experience with the GT version vs normal. Is it just harder rubber overall for more touring distance? If so, I'll probably stick with regulars for some softness in the curves

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
The GTs are for big, heavy touring bikes (600 pounds plus).

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Which is funny because, from what I've seen, both versions have the same weight rating.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Yeah you're not so fat you need GTs. PR4s are great, but they're not quite like the sticky rubber you use for your DRZ. They'll probably break loose faster than what you might be used to if you get on the throttle too early, but the solution to that is to not ride a bike that has torque like a loving sumo with soft compound tires.

Also they last forever, which is great. Buy them.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

I suggest not getting a set of PR4s, the rear is fine, although it's still keen to break loose, but the front is just crap. Get a PP3 front with PR4 rear.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Marxalot posted:

They'll probably break loose faster than what you might be used to if you get on the throttle too early, but the solution to that is to not ride a bike that has torque like a loving sumo with soft compound tires.

Yeah, the Tuono will do that on Q3s. :v:

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Shimrod posted:

I suggest not getting a set of PR4s, the rear is fine, although it's still keen to break loose, but the front is just crap. Get a PP3 front with PR4 rear.

The PR4 front I had was great and lasted 23k miles, what's wrong with it?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

It's great for commuting and general duties, but if you want to hit up the mountains I just don't like how it feels, it gives up too easily for my liking. Slides too easily. It's a commuter tyre for if you do high mileage/ride in the wet a lot, I won't run the front again even though I do massive mileage though.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Shimrod posted:

It's great for commuting and general duties, but if you want to hit up the mountains I just don't like how it feels, it gives up too easily for my liking. Slides too easily. It's a commuter tyre for if you do high mileage/ride in the wet a lot, I won't run the front again even though I do massive mileage though.

Yeah I hear you. Actually I ended up just getting a Pirelli Diablo Rosso II. I didn't realize they made those in 180/55. I really liked the ones I got for the DRZ's supermoto wheels so I'm just gonna go with those. They are pretty drat good in the wet and they have a nice amount of durability so far.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

That reminds me, what are good tyres for a Sumo that sees mostly mountain (twisties) runs and around town stuff? I need them to be decent to good in the wet too. I've got a Metzler Racetec on the front and it's great in the dry now I'm used to it, but it's completely crap in the wet. Same for the ContiAttack SM on the rear, it's fine in the dry, but completely hopeless in the wet. (The bike came with those tyres, need to replace them soon as the rear is cooked + almost out of tread and the front is getting low on tread).

I was thinking Dunlop Q3s or Pilot Powers?

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
I need new tires for the versys, it's my only vehicle so its a daily commuter plus camping trips etc. Are PR4, PR3 the way to go? Reading revzilla on the PR4 stuff it says they focus on wet riding, but lololoSoCal means I won't be riding in the rain, though having something that can handle the rain for when it does would be nice I guess?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
PR4 is fine. If you're a cheapass then Contimotions are fine.

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010
I used to get 11-13k miles on the dunlop roadsmart 2 tires, felt good in all conditions, they're a pretty good option for a daily driver as well. However once I tried the PR4 I prefer it because it feels a lot sportier, turns in a lot better. The Dunlop RS2 felt a lot more stable, and would probably be preferred over the PR4 for a lot of highway stuff or an old guy. Just another option in case there's a deal on them.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I really hated the Roadsmart 2s. Absolute grip felt like 75% of what it was on the PR3/4s, and they slid like crazy the second any moisture was on the ground. Fun with TC and such but not very confidence inspiring.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
The lady at the bike shop that mounted them repeated multiple times, no hard braking, and no wheelies after I got the bike back. I dunno what about a versys with side and top luggage rack screams that but who knows.
Jesus christ just the ride home from the shop new tires feel amazing.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

I just take the green side of a Scotch-Brite pad and some rubbing alcohol to new tires when I get home to get any leftover mold wax / chemicals off then go hog wild.

New tire "break in" is overrated.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Digital_Jesus posted:

I just take the green side of a Scotch-Brite pad and some rubbing alcohol to new tires when I get home to get any leftover mold wax / chemicals off then go hog wild.

I just.... ride on them.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Yeah thats fine too as long as you've got enough distance to get the tire good and hot on your way home or whatever.

The 3 miles from the shop to my driveway isn't really sufficient distance.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Go for a ride then? There's really no point in sanding your tires.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

I dont recall saying anything about taking sandpaper to ones tires.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Digital_Jesus posted:

I dont recall saying anything about taking sandpaper to ones tires.

Yeah, a scotchbrite pad isn't abrasive at all and in no way analogous to sandpaper.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Digital_Jesus posted:

:doh: There are no release agents on tires since forever. The reason new tires are slippy is because the surface is too smooth. Your scotch-brite regime does nothing beyond the alcohol dissolving a bit of surface.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

wallaka posted:

Yeah, a scotchbrite pad isn't abrasive at all and in no way analogous to sandpaper.

Green scotch-brite pads are impregnated with aluminum oxide grit :ssh:

(a good thing to remember if you're ever thinking about using one to e.g. clean off an old head gasket)

Grimarest
Jan 28, 2009
I'm looking to replace the tires on my dr650.

It came fitted with a Bridgestone Trail Wing in the front and a Metzeler enduro 3 for the rear. I can't remember the wear when I got the bike.

I'm mostly commuting and doing the occasional twisties and fire trails on the weekend, and the Metzeler is pretty much wore out. The trail wing gave me a few scares in the rain and want to switch it out.

I'm looking for street tires for the 21" front and 17" back. Any recommendations? Not too concerned about price.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Grimarest posted:

I'm looking to replace the tires on my dr650.

It came fitted with a Bridgestone Trail Wing in the front and a Metzeler enduro 3 for the rear. I can't remember the wear when I got the bike.

I'm mostly commuting and doing the occasional twisties and fire trails on the weekend, and the Metzeler is pretty much wore out. The trail wing gave me a few scares in the rain and want to switch it out.

I'm looking for street tires for the 21" front and 17" back. Any recommendations? Not too concerned about price.

I run T63s on the drz's dirt tires and they're pretty decent on street but def suited for off

Grimarest
Jan 28, 2009

Razzled posted:

I run T63s on the drz's dirt tires and they're pretty decent on street but def suited for off

I'm looking for something even less knobby than what I have. Shinko 705s or distenzias are decent for dirt bikes, and occasional, easy dirt roads?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Is it normal for stock tires to go flat with only about 3600 miles on it? The front tire on my 2015 Honda CB300F suddenly went flat on the way home from work last week (nothing happened to me, I was fine!). There's no visible penetration by a nail or anything so I have no idea why it decided to give up the ghost.

I'm going to get the tire replaced tomorrow, what should I look for in the replacement? And should I get both tires replaced at the same time?

IAmKale fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 19, 2016

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Check the valve stem. And no, not normal at all.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

For now I'd just say replace it with the same stock tire. If you're learning to ride, there's no real need for anything fancier and more expensive.

But yeah check the valve stem. Sometimes they can get dinged and start leaking around the base in a way that's not obvious unless you push and prod it for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
While unlikely with a new bike, it's also possible that the valve core came loose. You may as well get a metal valve stem if you're having the tire replaced, because those don't dry rot anywhere near as fast (the only rubber part are the seals). Spring for a 90 degree stem while you're at it - it will make checking and maintaining your pressures infinitely easier.

• Locked thread