Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
My rear tire lost all the air over night once due to a loose valve core. It just needed tightening but I didn't have a tool available at the time.

After that I bought a 5-pack of valve caps with a built in core tool to put on each of my current and future bikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarzanspuma
Jan 23, 2006

Gorilla

Grimarest posted:

I'm looking for something even less knobby than what I have. Shinko 705s or distenzias are decent for dirt bikes, and occasional, easy dirt roads?

I've got the 705s on my DRZ and yeah, they'll do great for what you want. Great asphalt tire and I even ride them through some serious off road trails. Respect them in sand or mud, they'll do fine everywhere else.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
My front tire randomly lost all the air before a trip once. It was just a leaky core. Core tool is very handy to have.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

makka-setan posted:

My rear tire lost all the air over night once due to a loose valve core. It just needed tightening but I didn't have a tool available at the time.

Pope Mobile posted:

My front tire randomly lost all the air before a trip once. It was just a leaky core. Core tool is very handy to have.

I'm going to be so embarrassed if this ends up being the cause...I'll check tonight after work.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
You really shouldn't be. It's not exactly a common failure, although it shows up occasionally, more commonly on bikes than cars because bikes get tires changed much more frequently.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Anyone used the Pirelli Diablo Rosso 3?

I've got a Street Triple R which came with 2s stock. A fine tyre in the dry, certainly nothing I can fault at my skill level, but horrid in the wet, presumably just because they have no sipes on the centre line of the tyre so you can feel it moving around under you in the wet, and it's really not confidence-inspiring.

I've heard the 3s are an improvement on the 2s for wet weather, and just in general, and as I don't often ride in the rain I'm leaning toward these instead of something like PR4s, which I see really mixed reviews on in terms of poor turn in or lack of feeling or whatever.

Any input appreciated.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Never had an issue with my rosso 2's in the wet on my last bike (r1). If anyone has seen Royal Jordanians videos on YouTube, he's always riding in wet London and he uses rosso 3's on all his bikes.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Voltage posted:

Never had an issue with my rosso 2's in the wet on my last bike (r1). If anyone has seen Royal Jordanians videos on YouTube, he's always riding in wet London and he uses rosso 3's on all his bikes.

yeah that's weird, i've not had any issues with the rosso IIs on either my Tuono or DRZ in the wet and it's been raining a lot. I can still rip wheelies on the drz when its raining pretty good and feel pretty good about them

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
They're probably not actually horrid in terms of grip levels but as I said, not confidence-inspiring at all because of the slight wobbling I seem to feel when there's water on the road. It's probably something I would do well to just ride through and get used to, but I've never ridden in the rain enough to reach that point as the bike is not my primary means of transportation.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Go with the 3s, pr4s are poo poo.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?
I'm really having trouble picking a tire here. i feel like I've always heard "get pr4s and shut up" but i wanna be sure, especially because i can't source that. i don't ride on the track, i commute (90% highway) aggressively on the street, rain or shine because Oregon. i stay below 120 mph. i think soft wall sounds right because i need mid corner maneuverability because of the way the roads in my area are. i commute. obviously i want to save money but price isn't a serious issue because good tires are important. i ride a '00 sv650.

if it matters, i have ebc double h sintered breaks and i weigh 130 lbs. everything else that could conceivably affect handling is stock

... can someone help me? tires are so complicated and i don't wanna wear these continentals in the rain season again.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I have Pirelli Angel GTs and am very happy with them.
Otherwise-

Verge posted:

"get pr4s and shut up"

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Yes get PR4s.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
The IRC RoadWinners on my Ninja 300 don't exactly review well except for lasting a long time.

Is it worth upgrading them to PS4s (or whatever) in any practical term or would it just be an excuse to play bikes.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

ok thanks guys.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Space Whale posted:

The IRC RoadWinners on my Ninja 300 don't exactly review well except for lasting a long time.

Is it worth upgrading them to PS4s (or whatever) in any practical term or would it just be an excuse to play bikes.

I don't think the pr4 comes in the right sizes for your bike. You're looking at something like the pilot streets for a 110 and 140.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Verge posted:

i have ebc double h sintered breaks

gently caress you

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

gently caress you

they're soooo good. the consistency is like woah

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Verge posted:

ebc double h sintered breaks

Sagebrush posted:

gently caress you

Clarity.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I heard Metzeler Roadtec 01s are pretty sweet ST tires, comparable to PR4s so I tried them out. They are cheaper than PR4 from Revzilla at least in the 120 and 180 flavors.

PR4s seem to have a progressive resistance to leaning where the Roadtecs tip in more easily and then have more linear/neutral feel on the sides I guess? They seem to want to stand the bike up less on throttle so it feels more planted in the corners. I like it. The tread pattern is neater and less overwrought looking (again compared to PR4), and they give you those little elephant chicken indexers too hahaha.

I guess I'll see how the longevity goes, I'm only 1000 miles in.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
I you're replacing tires you might as well grab some 90 degree valve stems as well and never have your rotors get in the way of your tire gauge again.

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010
What's the sportiest funnest tire that fits an old-gen EX250 (pre-08, 16" rims) and is still actually manufactured? I think some of the ones on the ninja250 wiki are gone. None of the tire manufacturers websites list the bike when using their tire picker tools, only the 08+ model, so that's a bit worrisome.

It's a spare/project/toy, it'll probably just get used for occasional donging, maybe a trackday, having a beater to teach friends on whatever, not really gonna get all weepy about hyper mileage on them.

Looks like Pirelli sport demon is probably the standout, but the Pirelli MT75 and the battlax BT45 also look good. Anyone ridden one of these on different tires and can offer an opinion?

Part of the problem is that for some reason searching the bitty too fitty's tire sizes at revzilla etc. pulls up every harley tire ever made so it LOOKS like theres a ton of new tires and they're not at all suitable.

HAMAS HATE BOAT fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Aug 31, 2016

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
MT75s are good and cheap. Don't expect more than like 5k tops out of the rear.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

I you're replacing tires you might as well grab some 90 degree valve stems as well and never have your rotors get in the way of your tire gauge again.

I'm probably gonna have cyclegear replace them since they do it for free unless someone tells me that it's dumb.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Verge posted:

I'm probably gonna have cyclegear replace them since they do it for free unless someone tells me that it's dumb.

If you supply your own stem yeah, it's free.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Pope Mobile posted:

If you supply your own stem yeah, it's free.

yeah the only problem is that i only ride a motorcycle so I'll have to beg them to do to it same day and borrow 4 wheels for the delivery. sure beats dealer prices though

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Not sure about your location, but we always sent people to a nearby shop if they were desperate to get it done asap. The shop was a little more expensive, but if you brought them the wheels off the bike, they changed the tires while you waited.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Pope Mobile posted:

Not sure about your location, but we always sent people to a nearby shop if they were desperate to get it done asap. The shop was a little more expensive, but if you brought them the wheels off the bike, they changed the tires while you waited.

change while you wait would make me sooo happy

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

All the places I've been to, they've changed the tires within 30 minutes on the spot if I brought them the wheels.

I mean it only takes like 2 minutes per wheel if you have a tire machine (they do), since most of the effort is in unbolting everything and getting the wheels off the bike in the first place. They can do it in between jobs and make 30-50 bucks instantly.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

The shop I got to always does it right then and there if I bring a tire, or I order a tire and come back next day. Same with chain and sprockets. Only time I was "turned" away was when the lifts were full and asked me to come back in an hour. If I went to the dealer though, dunno if I can expect it done without appointment.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Call them in advance and set up an appointment if you can.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

ty guys. I'll call ahead :)

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I'd imagine most shops are like that. Our district manager hated tire changes for some reason and wanted us to tell everyone two to three hour minimum with a 24 hour max. Never understood why, since a tire change is pure profit outside of the valve stem or tube.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Pure profit except for every 3rd dickhead that claims you nicked his unreplaceable, priceless, 1 of 1 OEM 96 gixxer 600 wheels.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Eh, we changed a lot of tires, and there were only a couple of people here and there that complained. Not once did we end up paying for a wheel (our sister store on the other hand...) We were required to inspect the wheel and write down any damage we found. We were also required to show the customer any damage we found and have them sign a waiver stating "Yeah that poo poo's damaged."

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Sagebrush posted:

I mean it only takes like 2 minutes per wheel if you have a tire machine (they do)
Unless you're stuck with some lovely air compressor that doesn't put out enough pressure to bead super stiff sidewalled Q2/Q3's and you have to spend 15 minutes lubing the gently caress out of them and hoping you don't go blind when it inevitably explodes and sends that poo poo flying everything.

-Inu- fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 2, 2016

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
It takes me 2 minutes just to clean the rim and lube the wheel.

20 minutes-ish is my record for one tire off and one on and balanced, using a no-mar.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I can do one in about 5 minutes with irons, if conditions are good (tires warm, tools at hand, lube available, compressor, etc).

But I've wasted a lot of my life changing tires at this point. v0v

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
My only issue with changing tires at home is no compressor. If I had a decently sized tank and fat lines I wouldn't have to take my wheels up to the tire shop and have them seat the bead. At least they don't charge me for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Beach Bum posted:

My only issue with changing tires at home is no compressor. If I had a decently sized tank and fat lines I wouldn't have to take my wheels up to the tire shop and have them seat the bead. At least they don't charge me for it.
My greatest accomplishment in life is instantly beading a Q2 with a bicycle pump. Don't ask me how the gently caress.

• Locked thread