Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
M42
Nov 12, 2012

I replaced the front a few months ago with a pirelli diablo rosso 2, so it's pretty fresh up there. Probably gonna throw a PR4 on the back :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

M42 posted:

I replaced the front a few months ago with a pirelli diablo rosso 2, so it's pretty fresh up there. Probably gonna throw a PR4 on the back :getin:

I'd just throw a Diablo Rosso 2 on the back too. PR4 is gonna feel a bit strange matched to a soft sidewall front. (front will deflect, rear won't, making it feel like the front is moving around). You can still get decent mileage out of a DR2 - run somewhat higher pressures on the rear under street use for better lifespan (around 38, probably), 29/29 for track use.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

See, this is why I post here. I would have bought a PR4 and come back whining incessantly about how something feels off.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
edit: whoops this is a motorcycle forum

CAPS LOCK BROKEN fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jul 19, 2015

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I've somehow managed to get my stock 300 tires down to the wear bars at 4200 miles. Looking at tires online there's not a lot of options in the stock sizes.

Are the Pirelli Sport Demon tires good? It seems like my other option would be to jump from 110/70/17 and 140/70/17 to 120/60/17 and 160/60/17 which would get me into Pilot Road 4s, but I'm unsure of the consequences of doing so. Also I'm pretty set on using Motorcycle Superstore as I can pick up locally at their HQ and save on shipping, so that may limit my choices a bit.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Go with the Michelin Pilot Street:
http://motorcycle.michelinman.com/tires/michelin-pilot-street-radial#dim

They come in 110/70-17 and 140/70-17

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Yep, I got the Pilot Street 2s on mine last fall and I frickin' LOVE them. So much nicer than the stock tires. They're holding up really well, too. I've put ~9k miles on them or so.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

revmoo posted:

I've somehow managed to get my stock 300 tires down to the wear bars at 4200 miles. Looking at tires online there's not a lot of options in the stock sizes.

Are the Pirelli Sport Demon tires good? It seems like my other option would be to jump from 110/70/17 and 140/70/17 to 120/60/17 and 160/60/17 which would get me into Pilot Road 4s, but I'm unsure of the consequences of doing so. Also I'm pretty set on using Motorcycle Superstore as I can pick up locally at their HQ and save on shipping, so that may limit my choices a bit.

Have you had any shops give you a quote? One by me was able to beat any online price I saw by a few bucks and I didn't have to worry about anything but riding in to the shop.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Before my Sturgis trip I had some Metzeler Tourace Next tires put on. I sort of have tire regret; should have got the Pilot Roads which I know to be awesome.

Rear: for a "high mile" tire, I'm developing a noticeable flat spot in the middle after only a couple thousand miles of interstate. For comparison, it took 10,000 miles to notice the same flat spot on a rear PR3.

Front: the low speed handling is awful. Maybe it's too tall a profile for my bike's geometry or something, but if I'm at direct-steer speed it feels like the tire is actively resisting my inputs, like the front end is being wrenched in two different directions.

Highway: they're pretty fine at speed. But I prefer the more progressive feel when leaning the bike on Pilot Roads. Feels like at a certain point the Metzelers want to fall further into a turn.

Off pavement: can't really complain here. Seem to hold on alright as long as it's dryish and not sandy.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
The tourance next is an enduro sport tire. The pilot road is a sport tour. No comparison in mileage between them.

Diggie
Apr 6, 2008
My bike needs new tires. It has spoked rims, which means I -must- have an inner-tube, right? Any recommendations for tires around $75 each for a cruiser? My front size is 130/90-16 and the rear is 170/80-15.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
PR3 or PR4 for mostly street riding in Seattle?

I had PR3's before and loved them.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Diggie posted:

My bike needs new tires. It has spoked rims, which means I -must- have an inner-tube, right? Any recommendations for tires around $75 each for a cruiser? My front size is 130/90-16 and the rear is 170/80-15.

maybe your tires need a new bike?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Mcqueen posted:

PR3 or PR4 for mostly street riding in Seattle?

I had PR3's before and loved them.

Get the Road 4s you will love them too.

clutchpuck posted:

Before my Sturgis trip I had some Metzeler Tourace Next tires put on. I sort of have tire regret; should have got the Pilot Roads which I know to be awesome.

Diggie
Apr 6, 2008

Digital_Jesus posted:

maybe your tires need a new bike?

That sounds much cheaper and easier than just changing the tires and tubes :).

No, but really. I have no idea what I'm looking for as most of the suggestions in this thread are for sport bikes.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

clutchpuck posted:

Get the Road 4s you will love them too.

Thanks!

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco

Diggie posted:

That sounds much cheaper and easier than just changing the tires and tubes :).

No, but really. I have no idea what I'm looking for as most of the suggestions in this thread are for sport bikes.

What bike and what kind of riding do you plan on doing? I'm assuming a cruiser and the type of riding would be... crusing?

I've heard good things about the michelin commander for crusiers but I don't have any experience with them personally.

Diggie
Apr 6, 2008

velocross posted:

What bike and what kind of riding do you plan on doing? I'm assuming a cruiser and the type of riding would be... crusing?

I've heard good things about the michelin commander for crusiers but I don't have any experience with them personally.

2001 Suzuki Intruder (VL800), sorry. Forgot to mention that. I commute almost everyday. Obviously I won't be dragging my knee or anything. Just to work and home, hitting back roads on the weekends when I can.

Diggie fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Aug 17, 2015

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Diggie posted:

2001 Suzuki Intruder (VL800), sorry. Forgot to mention that. I commute almost everyday. Obviously I won't be dragging my knee or anything. Just to work and home, hitting back roads on the weekends when I can.

http://www.bikebandit.com/tires-tubes/motorcycle-tires/dunlop-d404-motorcycle-tire

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Diggie posted:

Shinko Tour Master 230

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat
Has anyone had any experience with the pilot road 4s on dirt and gravel? I want to get a set, but I know I'll be heading down dirt and gravel roads to get to cottages and camp sites. It will be less than 5% of my riding.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I've done Road 3s on gravel. They work OK on packed roads. Very iffy if the gravel is loose or if it's wet.

Loose gravel result:

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Aug 18, 2015

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Snapshot posted:

Has anyone had any experience with the pilot road 4s on dirt and gravel? I want to get a set, but I know I'll be heading down dirt and gravel roads to get to cottages and camp sites. It will be less than 5% of my riding.

I've done it on my FZ6. It's just the same as any other slick road tire.

Diggie
Apr 6, 2008
So here's what I noticed on my rear tire a couple days ago, right before I headed home. I've been riding with it like this for who knows how long. Check your tires, kids, and don't be a dummy like me! Also, ignore that awful sticker on the fender. I'm going to scrub it off as soon as I have the opportunity.

I ordered some Shinko 777s after having them recommended to me by several local shops and friends. Now to install them myself and be able to ride soon.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Sweet sticker bro. Loud pipes freedom freedom back brake america back brake freedom pipes loud lives.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I really like my Shinko 009s so far. They're at least as grippy as the Bridgestone Battlax's I had on there before.

Diggie
Apr 6, 2008

Digital_Jesus posted:

Sweet sticker bro. Loud pipes freedom freedom back brake america back brake freedom pipes loud lives.

It was there from the previous owner and I use my front brake.

I got the new tires in and replaced them. Why would I ever pay someone 30 bucks a tire?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Some people are very afraid of changing their oil, let alone a tire.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I have no idea how to do tires, but I'm gonna learn.

What tools would you guys recommend?

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Lynza posted:

I have no idea how to do tires, but I'm gonna learn.

What tools would you guys recommend?

Do you have a budget? If so: http://www.nomartirechanger.com/Cycle_Hill_Tire_Changer_p/tc-ch100.htm for $400.

KLR owner but don't want to use tire irons on tubeless tires? http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcycle-tire-changer-attachment-60810.html plus http://www.harborfreight.com/Manual-Tire-Changer-69686.html plus http://www.mojotiretools.com/mojoweb.htm . About $200. Still need to rig something up to protect your rims from the pure metal bits on the motorcycle adapter. Looks like Mojoblocks are back: http://www.mojotiretools.com/mojoblocks.htm so add another $30 for $230 total.

Dish soap, water and an old sponge for lube: free.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

If you're a real cheapass you can just get a pair of good tire irons, cut up plastic containers as rim-savers, and dish soap or windex for lube. I used to break the bead with a wedge-shaped wood block and a long-rear end 2x4 to break the bead (worst part). Involved lots of sweat and swearing. I suppose a lot of people either don't want to bother with all the tools or for people who don't have garages just don't have room for them.

And a lot of people don't ride that much, for $200+ worth of tools will get you at least 3 tire changes at shops, for people who ride a few k/yr that's years to break even on equipment and reteaching yourself every time.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
I don't mind spending some money on good tools I can use. We've got 3 bikes to maintain, one spoked and 2 tubeless, so whatever is most versatile is going to be the best bet.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
When I get a garage one day I'm buying one of these. I don't care if it's a waste of money, I still want one. Dealer cost is somewhat reasonable iirc.

edit: I will vouch for a Nomar or HF changer though. I've used them on a few occasions to swap between street and race tires, and they work damned well. Beats the hell out of a 2x4 and tire spoons any day. Especially if you're dealing with a stiffer sidewall like a Q3 (you're not, but just for reference).

-Inu- fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Sep 17, 2015

Diggie
Apr 6, 2008
Talc powder is your best friend on the tubed tire. Inflate the tube just a bit and rub it down with talc, it'll make things go so much smoother. I didn't use any soap or anything when I did mine, just talc.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Tubeless are real torture without a machine to help you, I'd recommend the no -mar or something similar

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
It is worth the convenience of paying $40 to have both my tires changed by the local guy. Extra $10 for tire disposal? Deal.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
So, what's the current "standard" dunlop non-slick track/race tire these days? Last time I did anything track related, pretty much everyone ran UK D211s, and the 212s had just came out (well, they weren't released to the public yet). I see that there is a GPA-Pro now, are those any good? Or are people still sticking with the UK spec tires?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

D212s as far as I know. They're sweet. I run them on my zX10r.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
GP-A Pro NTEC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

-Inu- posted:

So, what's the current "standard" dunlop non-slick track/race tire these days? Last time I did anything track related, pretty much everyone ran UK D211s, and the 212s had just came out (well, they weren't released to the public yet). I see that there is a GPA-Pro now, are those any good? Or are people still sticking with the UK spec tires?

I've currently got a set of GPA-pros on my trackbike, very impressed with the feel and grip. Tire wear is incredible (med+ rear, med front) compared to what I was seeing out of bridgestone slicks. Currently four days on them, front still has a good 2 or 3 days left in it and the rear has maybe one. I flipped the rear after the third day to even out wear since every goddamn track around me is clockwise orientation.

• Locked thread