Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.

ranathari posted:

It's not a good idea to mix different brands of tyres and tyre manufacturers go as far as to say you shouldn't mix different tyres from one brand. Tyres are designed to work as a pair so running two different tyres can adversely affect the handling.

It is a LOT less of an issue these days as mentioned before. I've ridden over 30k miles with a knobbie (TKC80 or equivalent) on the front and from a more street orientated Ahnkee to a pilot road on the back with no real issues. This is actually a populat type of setup for DS bikes, especially heavier ones because it gives you the grip offroad that you need on the front but longer lasting rubber on the rear.

There are also a lot of guys running different models and manuafactureres on the front and rear. It is about personalizing the performance you want from the bike. A lot of the combinations have a strong front tire and weak rear, or the otherway around. It isn't a bad think anymore, millions of miles each year proves it's a valid setup. They say it's bad so you buy their stuff, not because there is an actual problem with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.

blugu64 posted:

re:Car Tires on motorcycles. I saw this posted in the pictures/video thread a few months back. Too scary for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaIj1XrmvLM

Darkside riders (their nickname) have been popular with the heavy bikes for a long time. Goldwings and harleys have been doing it it for a looong time. It's actually better these days with symetrical high performance tires than it ever was. I've ridden an FJR with a car tire on the rear and you get used to normal riding within a few miles. spirited riding is completely doable and safe but requires more steering input to get into it and hold your line. Nothing dangerous and very similar to the wide motorcycle tires so popular today with customs.

The only complaint I've read about is making sure to slow down in heavy rain as you would hydroplane easier but considering more than a few Iron Butt competitors run them with no problems I don't see a real issue with them as long as you are comfortable with it.

Here is another good video that shows it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQtlt-HFFoo

I'd never put one on a sport bike because that's all about cornering, but for a heavy bike like a goldwing or similar it is actually a decent idea.

• Locked thread