Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Jose Pointero posted:

Read almost the entire thread over the course of a couple weeks, and just ordered my first new pair of tires for this bike:

:woop:
I've been wearing down the old tires that the PO had put on it, not even sure what brand they are. I have a feeling it'll be like an entirely different bike once I slap these babies on. Thanks for all the info guys.

We've swapped out several tires for PR3s. Hearing nothing but good things from the people that are using them so far. I plan on getting them myself when the time comes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
We actually got a pair of PR4's in last week. They look very similar to the PR3, but a little more expensive.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Xovaan posted:

Girlfriend's Ninja 250 needs a front tire since it isn't holding air and it came with the bike and I don't wanna risk anything. Anybody know a good replacement? What are the best tools for changing a tire? Can I set the bead at a gas station?

If you really want to sure. Might get some funny looks when the bead pops both times. Bring some soapy water to lube it up. You'll need at least two or three tire irons. If you don't want to risk damaging the rim, get some protectors for it. Unless you want to reuse them, get two extra rubber valve stems to replace the old ones. Just cut the old ones off with a razor, lube the new one up with aforementioned soapy water and shove it in with a phillips.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
They're pretty much the same for profile. They both have a 20|40|20 composition on the rear and a 25|50|25 on the front. The tread pattern is slightly different, but they're more or less the same tire. Michelin is claiming 17% better braking and 20% better tread life on the 4 over the 3.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Guy came in the other day needing to replace his Pirelli Angels. Says he got 23,000 out of them on his CBR1000.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Connie 14 or 10? PR4 GT will fit the 14. No Michelin tires will fit the 1000.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
They're an okay tire, that's about it. I think they're a single compound tire, too. Don't see anything that says otherwise.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Go with the Michelin Pilot Street:
http://motorcycle.michelinman.com/tires/michelin-pilot-street-radial#dim

They come in 110/70-17 and 140/70-17

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
The tourance next is an enduro sport tire. The pilot road is a sport tour. No comparison in mileage between them.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Some people are very afraid of changing their oil, let alone a tire.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
General rule of thumb is that you can go up or down one size just fine, but there are exceptions.
Your current tire is 90mm wide by 81mm (90% of the width) tall. The 100/100 is 100mm wide by 100mm tall (100% of the width). That's 10mm wider and 19mm taller. The first number is width in mm and the second is height as a percentage of the width.
The main issue with going up in tire size is fitting the wheel back on without the tire rubbing on anything.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Which is funny because, from what I've seen, both versions have the same weight rating.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Digital_Jesus posted:

I just take the green side of a Scotch-Brite pad and some rubbing alcohol to new tires when I get home to get any leftover mold wax / chemicals off then go hog wild.

New tire "break in" is overrated.

I just.... ride on them.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Go for a ride then? There's really no point in sanding your tires.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
My front tire randomly lost all the air before a trip once. It was just a leaky core. Core tool is very handy to have.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I have Pirelli Angel GTs and am very happy with them.
Otherwise-

Verge posted:

"get pr4s and shut up"

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Space Whale posted:

The IRC RoadWinners on my Ninja 300 don't exactly review well except for lasting a long time.

Is it worth upgrading them to PS4s (or whatever) in any practical term or would it just be an excuse to play bikes.

I don't think the pr4 comes in the right sizes for your bike. You're looking at something like the pilot streets for a 110 and 140.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Verge posted:

I'm probably gonna have cyclegear replace them since they do it for free unless someone tells me that it's dumb.

If you supply your own stem yeah, it's free.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Not sure about your location, but we always sent people to a nearby shop if they were desperate to get it done asap. The shop was a little more expensive, but if you brought them the wheels off the bike, they changed the tires while you waited.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I'd imagine most shops are like that. Our district manager hated tire changes for some reason and wanted us to tell everyone two to three hour minimum with a 24 hour max. Never understood why, since a tire change is pure profit outside of the valve stem or tube.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Eh, we changed a lot of tires, and there were only a couple of people here and there that complained. Not once did we end up paying for a wheel (our sister store on the other hand...) We were required to inspect the wheel and write down any damage we found. We were also required to show the customer any damage we found and have them sign a waiver stating "Yeah that poo poo's damaged."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Oh god beading cruiser tires. gently caress ME888s forever.

• Locked thread