Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

not sure whether to put this in the questions thread or the tire thread, but since it's a question about tires, I figure here's as good a place as any.

My rear tire (tyre, I suppose, since I'm in the UK) is squaring off pretty nicely. I'm planning on doing a weeklong trip to France at the end of September that should be somewhere around 4000km (2500mi). Should I think about putting new tires on before I go, or just turning my OEM Pirelli Diablos (not Corsas) into cubes on this trip and replacing them when I get back? The tyres have about 6100 miles on them now and while the rear still has decent tread on the sides, the middle is getting pretty worn down (lots of highway commuting!)

There's a shop with a really good deal on Avon Storm ST's and they sound pretty decent. I was thinking about Pilot Road 2's for the harder center compound, but they're hard to find in 110/70 17 for the front and are quite expensive compared to that Avon deal. What do you guys think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Z3n posted:

Aren't the pilot road 2s like, 300 pounds for a set in the UK?

Is your trip going to be more slab or more twisty? If it's more twisty, I'd consider springing for the Road 2s, but if it's gonna be mostly upright stuff I'd get the Avons. You shouldn't have any problems running a 120/70-17 on your front tire, if you wanted to get the roads. From everything I've read, the Storms are very popular sport touring tires over there, and if they're 50% of the price of the roads, even if you replace them before the road 2 you'll still be saving quite a bit of money.

Most of the big distance will be upright. My manual lists 120/65 as an alternative front size, but the Road 2's don't come in 65 profile. I don't really want to mess with the stock sizes too much, because I enjoy the way the front handles now. In any case, I found another shop that sells a set of Road 2's for just over £200 in my size (£210 shipped). So roughly £50 difference between the Avons and Michelins for a set.
I'm leaning towards the Michelins, for fairly arbitrary reasons. Both seem to have good wet and cold weather grip (high silica content rubber), just not sure about the wear on the Avons and if they'll square off as bad as my Pirellis compared to the Michelins. I read some very positive reviews of the Avons, but from FJR1300 riders and that's a completely different beast compared to my Pegaso.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

well, my bike is in for its 6k service and it does need tires before I go on my trip so I got the Pilot Road 2's. My local shop got me an almost-as-good-as-online deal so I went with them. I'd rather establish a good relationship with them and it beats rolling the tires down the street with a stick to their shop if I bought them online. I'll report once I've done a few hundred miles on how I like them.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Little update on my Pilot Road 2ct's:
The bike goes around corners! I actually like them rather a lot, though I suspect the improvement might have more to do with the fact that they aren't shaped like the bottom half of a hexagon like my old tires were. They stick well in cool conditions and seem to hold whatever line you're on very well. I think they've got more of a rounded profile rather than a V profile, at least that's what they feel like and I like how that gives a linear steering response. If they do slip or lock, they're quick to find grip again and track around the corner. I know they're pretty much the top of the line sport touring tire, and maybe I don't need all that, but if the wear is good I can't see a reason to go with something else. I'll see how they handle the winter weather soon enough.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

poo poo.

plug or replace? plug should work fine right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

unfortunately for me, the angle that big fuckin' screw that went in my tire meant no patch for me. I thought it went straight in and bent. What it actually did was go in at an extremely shallow angle which would mean either opening up the hole far too wide to properly patch, or if you fed the plug through the hole at that angle, it would be too squished over to hold, and it would always be trying to lift the patch part off the inside of the tire. Well anyway, the tire had 6000 miles on it, so probably halfway through its life. I just ended up having to get a new tire sooner rather than later (or I got boned).

• Locked thread