Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Since I need to replace my rear 180/55/17 on the sv asap, I called around and got a quote of $206 installed in 24 hours for a new pilot road 3. Seems like a tire many of you like and recommend, and the cycle gear guy described it as being pretty much perfect for the riding I do and my skill level. Need it for commuting with sport riding on the weekends.

Does this sound like a good price/tire for me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Well, previous owner had the cbr600 rear wheel on it, which looks good with the larger gsxr front wheel. It does seem less flickable than a thinner wheel would give, but isnt the CBR a similar size and weight to my bike? Also, I really don't know how it compares, as its the only bike I've ridden extensively. nor does my skill level involve leaning far, as I'm a scaredy pants that would rather get leaned out off the saddle than get the bike hella leaned.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

This is the best shot I have of the wheel handy. If you need a shot of something specific, please ask and I'll try to get it up asap. The tires on the bike were 180x55zr17m/c. 73w bt021r
Bridgestone.

I think the wheel comes off of an 06 CBR, according to Coredump.By all means, be concerned about sizing. I didn't even know any of these things are things to be worried about, so you can save me a lot of pain and frustration by being knowledgeably picky.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
F3 wheel sounds familiar. Coredump thinks that is what it is. I'll have the cycle gear people double check before I get the tire. Assuming I CAN run a 160, do I want to? Will I see a major difference in how easy the bike is to corner? How about wear on the long term with commuting?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
In that case, I'd much prefer to run 160. Is there somewhere on the wheel that says what size it is? I called up to cycle gear again, and they couldn't say if it would work well or not because obviously they don't know exactly what wheel I have. It strikes me that now I don't know what wheel I have. It LOOKS like an F3 CBR wheel, but the PO also said it was off 2006. If that last part is wrong, I'd love to really make sure before I buy a tire. Also, what's the point of having a wider wheel on it now if it's just going to run stock size? Other than that the original silver wheel looks bad.

Lastly, what height am I going for? If it is 180/55/17 now, do I want 160/55/17?

Coydog fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 20, 2014

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yet again, you both swoop in with correct and confident information. Despite hearing lots of "NAW you can fit a lot more tire in that swing arm. Put the biggest thing you can fit!" from people, I trust you more. The only bad thing is it will take 4 days to get this size tire into cycle gear and onto the bike. So no riding this week or even this weekend. :( That's OK, I really want to feel what stock tire size rides like, and would always wonder if I settled on the 180. Plus the tire is $162 so I saved some money. :)

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
You make a good point. As much as my wallet loathes me right now, for safety's sake maybe I should swap the front. It was matched with the back before, and is a 3yr old batlax 120/70/17. What say you? I'm not even beginning to get really leaned over or pushing the limits, but I do plan on keeping the bike another year and not switching platform right away. Front tire looks great through. plenty of tread, no flatting. Tire install place recommended leaving it and saving money and just not cornering like a madman, but holding back isn't my strong suit.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
The tread on those is very insane Skreemer. That should work wonders in hard conditions, if appearance is truth.

Major thanks to z3n and blackmk4 and snowden for advising me into stock size PR3. Spent all day and some of last night on them and I cannot get over how much better the bike leans and corners. It glides effortlessly, and I never feel like im fighting the bike. Granted they are brand new tires, but this is something completely different. This rides like I expected a street/sport bike to ride. My low speed turns are 3x tighter, too. The bike leaning over far with a thought is far from "hard to get used to" like I was warned. I'm so much more confident both in turns and going up to begin them.

The rear tire being flatted bad and much wider than stock really worked against me. I won't let it get that far ever again, if only because I want it to ride this way always.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That's one of the things I really wanted, but wasn't getting my hopes up for. That I'll be able to ride on these magical tires for quite some time is really great news.

So far I've had them broken in and then taken to the mountains. I'm still holding back, but the difference between how the bike handles, leans, and rides is nothing short of astonishing. I feel like this is what I imagined motorcycles handling like. It flops over into a corner effortlessly, and I feel as stable leaned over as straight up. High speed highway ride smoothness has improved, as well.

Love these pr3 and this bike.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I need to replace the rear tire on the WR250X soon, and I've been having a confusing time trying to find compatible tires and tubes for it. Tubes are a whole new issue on their own that I'm learning about. Can someone weigh in on what's going on?

I ride highway or straight line a fair bit, and like to have dual compound. This tire is what some people recommend, but I've never been on a battlax that wasn't almost worn out, so they have always felt like garbage to me.
http://www.amazon.com/Bridgestone-BATTLAX-BT-003-Racing-Motorcycle/dp/B005J8WZLU

On this page this tire was recommended, but I'm not sure if it will hurt tubes?
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/michelin-pilot-street-radial-rear-tires

Tubes- Where on earth do I get proper tubes for this bike? I want to run heavy duty tubes, but all the bridgestone heavy duty seem to start at 100/100-18, with the only 17 sizes being flimsy normal tubes like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Bikemaster-Mo...Motorcycle+tube

Never having run tubes, am I going to be in trouble if I get a nail while far from home? There doesn't seem to be a roadside option to repair these. How worried about that should I be?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Thank you for clearing that up. So even for curb hopping and other hooliganry, standard is fine? I heard heavy duty reduces flats. I guess they don't protect against nails, so is this just for hitting rocks really hard, or jumping off of boulders, or whatever it is off roader's do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I appreciate that info. There is so much I do not know. I ended up going with the Pilot Road with some normal tubes. The pilot road I chose because it has long life, which I need, and seems like a good tire. And because it was recommended a page back.

I know I'm going to try to do some fire trail or simple off road stuff soon, but people seem to do ok with their stock sumos running street tires. Once I get my feet wet and burn through this tire, I'll probably get some distanzas or maybe even some rad knobbies.

• Locked thread