Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Those are called chicken strips, phil. :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Yeah, I know, just being a dick. I ran larger tyres on a CBR125 - the rear went from 100->110 - and the combination of narrow wheels, and suspension barely capable of coping with a rider over 70kg, meant that the footpegs would have been smouldering nubs before I ever scrubbed the outer edge.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Sick_Nukes posted:

How do you feel on the subject of using race take offs for street or trackdays?

That's pretty much all that I ever ran (with the exception of the last set, that was sold to me for a song by my sponsor :v: ). They will vary in quality - some of the ones that I picked up I probably shouldn't have even bothered wasting the energy to bring back to my garage, but for ~$25 a tyre, it's hard to say no. I failed on the whole 'mount it yerself' bit, though, which really ended up compounding costs.

Oh, also, make drat sure what compound you're getting. DO NOT BUY QUALIFYING COMPOUND TAKE-OFFS. Most manufacturers will have some little code letting you know what hardness the tyre compound is, and it usually ranges from 0 (softest) -> 3 (hardest). 2 or 3 is usually perfect for track days and longer races.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

That age and mileage on a set of s/t tyres isn't really all that worn. If you want to step up to something with more grip (or for looks), there's really no reason not to. Just see if you can keep the tyres they take off and flog them on CL. :v:

• Locked thread