Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!
My '06 EX250 needs new shoes. Badly. I've got the stock dunlop tires right now. Is the date code in the little bar that reads, "LAB 2003?" Because drat, that means they're 6 years old and I'm not surprised I haven't been confident cornering. In any event, I'm thinking about the Pirello MT75's as suggested by ninja250.org.

Any suggestions, comments? I'm going to be looking around town here in the next few days trying to find prices and availability. I'd like to have 'em on by the time I get my license endorsement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!

Z3n posted:

The MT75s (Sport Demons) are excellent tires. The date code's not the thing that reads "LAB 2003". It's going to be 2 or 3 numbers in an oval.

Hmm, i haven't really found anything that looks like that. I'm replacing them anyway so oh well, but so far I've found 507 and 904 in 2 different spots respectively on my rear tire. The only number in an oval was what I said before. Weird.

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!
Jesus, Delta Tire wanted 300 bucks just for the Sport Demons. Found them online for 200 free shipping, and Delta Will install them for 30 bucks. Hell yeah.

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!

frozenphil posted:

Gimme dat link as I want to replace the stock IRCs on my '09 Ninja 250R.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/28/396/6243/ITEM/Pirelli-Sport-Demon-Sport-Touring-Front-Tire.aspx

Free shipping, gently caress yeah.

E: Also, mine were in stock, I ordered around noon, and they're already shipped. Should have them by the time I get my license.

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!
Tires arrived today. They look pretty amazing, will probably get them on Saturday. Is there anything I should know about taking the wheels off and putting them on? IE- Brake pads/pistons, bearings, axels, what-have-you? Does anything need to be re-greased?

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!
Websites list a tire as "Front" or "rear" is there any difference?

E: Also, any opinions on Bridgestone battleaxes? They look like the way I'm going to go, unless there's something particularly horrid about them.

Methusulah fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 11, 2010

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!

-Inu- posted:

Rear tires have different tread patterns and have more tread because they're doing all of the work, or basically pushing the bike. In the same manner, front tires essentially pull the bike. Profile will be different too -- front tires generally have more of a V shape than rears. You could run a rear on the front if you really wanted to, just flip the tire and run it opposite the direction of rotation.

Which battlaxes were you looking at?

I'm lookin at the BT-45h for the rear, and the BT-45V for the front, as that's what I've found in my price range and tubeless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!

-Inu- posted:

You have a 250 right? I personally hated my BT-45's, but a lot of people really like them. They have excellent wet grip and last for-freaking-ever, and they are dual compound so there is a stickier compound on the sides.. You can check out my post in the 250 thread but I'm running BT-090's now and I'm in love with them. If you're gonna be doing a lot of twisty riding and won't be riding in the rain much I would highly recommend the 090's. If you're mostly commuting with the occasional weekend ride up in the mountains you'll probably like the 45's. 090's are much more of a performance oriented tire, I'd call them a BT-016 but for smaller bikes. You'll see about 4000 miles (that's what I'm estimating anyways, I only have a grand on them so far) out of the 090's and probably 10,000 out of the 45's.

No, '83 Yammy XJ 550. My project thread is usually on the second page somewhere. We only have a couple twisty roads around here, and mountains? What the hell are those? I'm definitely looking for something that will last a while. I don't know how many miles I'll be putting on the bike this year, but since I'm pretty close to actually having a good length of riding season, it should be many thousands.

I used to have a 250, and I had Pirelli sport demons, and I really don't know enough to tell how good they were. I liked 'em plenty, and going up to the 90 profile made it turn in more easily. Hopefully I'll get more miles out of the XJ that I did my li'l ninja.

• Locked thread