Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

BlackMK4 posted:

I normally pay $15/wheel but when I had to have tires mounted on the Tuono RSV yesterday I went to a local shop that costs $20/wheel. They let me test ride an Tuono V4. Worth the extra $10.

$16,299 wheel mount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Diggie posted:

2001 Suzuki Intruder (VL800), sorry. Forgot to mention that. I commute almost everyday. Obviously I won't be dragging my knee or anything. Just to work and home, hitting back roads on the weekends when I can.

http://www.bikebandit.com/tires-tubes/motorcycle-tires/dunlop-d404-motorcycle-tire

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Coydog posted:

I need to replace the rear tire on the WR250X soon, and I've been having a confusing time trying to find compatible tires and tubes for it. Tubes are a whole new issue on their own that I'm learning about. Can someone weigh in on what's going on?

I ride highway or straight line a fair bit, and like to have dual compound. This tire is what some people recommend, but I've never been on a battlax that wasn't almost worn out, so they have always felt like garbage to me.
http://www.amazon.com/Bridgestone-BATTLAX-BT-003-Racing-Motorcycle/dp/B005J8WZLU

On this page this tire was recommended, but I'm not sure if it will hurt tubes?
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/michelin-pilot-street-radial-rear-tires

Tubes- Where on earth do I get proper tubes for this bike? I want to run heavy duty tubes, but all the bridgestone heavy duty seem to start at 100/100-18, with the only 17 sizes being flimsy normal tubes like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Bikemaster-Mo...Motorcycle+tube

Never having run tubes, am I going to be in trouble if I get a nail while far from home? There doesn't seem to be a roadside option to repair these. How worried about that should I be?

You don't really need HD tubes unless you're going offroad. Just buy them from revzilla or amazon or wherever. If you want to go nuts about patching tubes, get a patch kit and a pump and some tire irons.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Coydog posted:

Thank you for clearing that up. So even for curb hopping and other hooliganry, standard is fine? I heard heavy duty reduces flats. I guess they don't protect against nails, so is this just for hitting rocks really hard, or jumping off of boulders, or whatever it is off roader's do?

I think it's more for when you air them down to avoid pinch flats in which case definitely yes. But aired up I think there's no real difference. Anything that goes through your tire is going through your tube too. Going off curbs and such regular tubes should be fine, but you can run HD if you want, just don't run UHD as I've heard they can overheat if you go fast (70+). HD and UHD tubes are also more difficult to change if you end up doing that yourself.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Coydog posted:

I appreciate that info. There is so much I do not know. I ended up going with the Pilot Road with some normal tubes. The pilot road I chose because it has long life, which I need, and seems like a good tire. And because it was recommended a page back.

I know I'm going to try to do some fire trail or simple off road stuff soon, but people seem to do ok with their stock sumos running street tires. Once I get my feet wet and burn through this tire, I'll probably get some distanzas or maybe even some rad knobbies.

I recommend going off-road. It is awesome. You can do dirt just fine with street tires as long as you're careful and don't go too fast. I rode around at green mountain over Christmas on an xs400 and it was fine. Quite stupid and neither great nor fast, but doable.

• Locked thread