Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

8ender posted:

Well now I can't find where I read that and I feel like a fool. Maybe it was just hearsay?

I read it here (WARNING: AWFUL WEBSITE DESIGN), but Iron Pony still lists the HiMax tires that are on my Nighthawk, so I dunno.

8ender posted:

I'm greatly saddened by their exit from the tire market.

Motorcycle street tires, not the whole tire market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Ola posted:

Z3n are you like the tire whisperer? Do you need to touch, smell and taste them to hear what they are trying to say?

*licks front tire*
"2mm too much trail, not enough dampening, and you're taking the wrong line through Turn Seven."

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 14, 2009

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Armacham posted:

it's okay baby I'll be gentle

...at first

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
I'm dumping the ancient Cheng Shins on the Twinstar for a pair of Kenda Challengers. Obviously, ultimate handling is not a priority, but safety is. With that in mind, what's the recommended rim width for a 120-section tire? It originally had a 3.50 rear, but later versions of (essentially) the same bike were fitted with 4.60s. I'm not sure if they use a wider rim.

Correction: CM250 Custom--110/90-16, CB250 Nighthawk--120/90-16

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Apr 14, 2010

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Awesome link, thank you! :)

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Jabs posted:

I'm starting to look about for tires for the SR250. Front is listed as 3.00-18, and rear as 120/90-16.

If I'm looking at that chart correctly, I could get a 90/90-18 and a 120/90-16, yes?

Sounds right.

Jabs posted:

Any suggestions on tires in that size?

As stated above, I'm going with Kenda K657 Challengers*, because I'm a cheap bastard (~$90 for the pair). I've heard good things about Avon AM26 Roadriders.

*Front is a 100/90-18. Close enough on a 200cc standard.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
^^^I like the cut of your jib.

No projectiles here--my wife just gives me the look.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
http://www.maxxis.com/MotorcycleATV/Motorcycle-Tire-School.aspx#motorcycle_tire_conversion_charts

Ignore the front/rear nonsense; every chart I've seen insists that there's no such thing as a rear tire narrower than 4.5.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Chicken strips that actively mock you

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Motorcycle Superstore has good prices, as long as you exceed the $89 threshold and get free shipping.
Dennis Kirk is consistently cheaper, see below.

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 6, 2012

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
The fact that we don't know you're not smoking crack makes it difficult to answer.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Sagebrush posted:

I'm looking for some decent tires for my CL350. 3.00x19 front, 3.50x18 rear. Mostly just going to be street riding around town and on dual-lane country highways -- no interstates or track duties. If there's some kind of dual-sport tires that would also be good on smooth dirt roads, though, that would a nice bonus because there are some neat-looking dusty roads up here. Any suggestions?

[e] I believe the closest metric equivalent to the stock size would be 80/100/19 front and 90/100/18 rear.

I've looked at several numeric-to-metric sizing charts, and they all say 90/90 front, 100/90 rear.

I'm no expert, but I've heard good things about the Avon AM26 Roadrider as an all-around tire.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Yep. I could never get it to work, but my nephew showed me that if you give the tire a swift kick while the fluid is alight, it works every time.

E: It's important to get fluid all the way around the bead, not just fill it from 1 spot.

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 11, 2012

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
It probably has as much to do with atomization (aerosol) as it does with the volatility/flammability of the fluid itself.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Sagebrush posted:

What's the verdict on IRC?

Middle of the pack; Not Michelin/Bridgestone, but not Shinko/Kenda either.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
I don't have a receiver hitch available, so I bolted mine to a 4' square of 3/4" plywood so's I'm standing on it whist muscling things around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Shinko is literally Cheng Shin V2.0. Make of that what you will.

• Locked thread