Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Considering new tires to replace the stock Dunlops on the DRZ400sm.

I want to stay at 150/60/17 for the rear. I don't think they make PP3s in that size, are the PP 2CTs a decent substitute?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Radbot posted:

How stupid would it be to put these on a Honda CTX700:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/28029/i/shinko-010-apex-radial-front-tire on the front,
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2194/i/michelin-pilot-power-2ct-rear-tire on the back (since Shinko rears aren't much less expensive)

Why not get PR4s? That's what my dad ended up getting on his CTX and he's liking them so far.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Gunbus posted:

Okay dumb question. I have a DRZsm I just replaced the front tire with a Pilot power 3. Now I need to replace the rear and its tube. its squared off pretty bad and has a super slow leak. What should I replace the rear with that would be a decent match for the front since they don't make a Pilot power3 in 140/70R17 (at least I can't find one).

There's a lot of spergery about what rear size to fit, but the one that will yield the best choices and the most natural fit is a 150 rear. If you go up to 160 you gotta check for rubbing on the swingarm/chain and poo poo, also you can't use the chain guard

Here's what I ordered:

Item# 822326
Pirelli Diablo Rosso II Rear Tires
Tire Size: 150/60ZR17 66W
1 $141.99 $141.99

Item# 817357
Pirelli Diablo Rosso II Front Tires
Tire Size: 120/70ZR17 58W
1 $118.99 $118.99

Based on the research I did at the time, the Rosso II rear should last 5-6k even under spirited riding conditions. They've held up in the corners while I'm being pretty aggressive so far, so no complaints overall.

edit: they're also great rain tires (hooray for pouring rain t-storms in summer)

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Has anyone tried the various PR4 variants? Tuono picked up a screw in the rear so I'm in the market. Was looking at PR4s and was just curious if anyone has experience with the GT version vs normal. Is it just harder rubber overall for more touring distance? If so, I'll probably stick with regulars for some softness in the curves

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Shimrod posted:

It's great for commuting and general duties, but if you want to hit up the mountains I just don't like how it feels, it gives up too easily for my liking. Slides too easily. It's a commuter tyre for if you do high mileage/ride in the wet a lot, I won't run the front again even though I do massive mileage though.

Yeah I hear you. Actually I ended up just getting a Pirelli Diablo Rosso II. I didn't realize they made those in 180/55. I really liked the ones I got for the DRZ's supermoto wheels so I'm just gonna go with those. They are pretty drat good in the wet and they have a nice amount of durability so far.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Grimarest posted:

I'm looking to replace the tires on my dr650.

It came fitted with a Bridgestone Trail Wing in the front and a Metzeler enduro 3 for the rear. I can't remember the wear when I got the bike.

I'm mostly commuting and doing the occasional twisties and fire trails on the weekend, and the Metzeler is pretty much wore out. The trail wing gave me a few scares in the rain and want to switch it out.

I'm looking for street tires for the 21" front and 17" back. Any recommendations? Not too concerned about price.

I run T63s on the drz's dirt tires and they're pretty decent on street but def suited for off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Voltage posted:

Never had an issue with my rosso 2's in the wet on my last bike (r1). If anyone has seen Royal Jordanians videos on YouTube, he's always riding in wet London and he uses rosso 3's on all his bikes.

yeah that's weird, i've not had any issues with the rosso IIs on either my Tuono or DRZ in the wet and it's been raining a lot. I can still rip wheelies on the drz when its raining pretty good and feel pretty good about them

• Locked thread