Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm looking for some decent tires for my CL350. 3.00x19 front, 3.50x18 rear. Mostly just going to be street riding around town and on dual-lane country highways -- no interstates or track duties. If there's some kind of dual-sport tires that would also be good on smooth dirt roads, though, that would a nice bonus because there are some neat-looking dusty roads up here. Any suggestions?

[e] I believe the closest metric equivalent to the stock size would be 80/100/19 front and 90/100/18 rear.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

to break the bead: a couple of C-clamps
to get the new tire on: elbow grease

I've never used a tubeless tire so I dunno about those, but the above has worked pretty well for me in the past.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

My CL350 calls for a 3.00x19 tire in the front. According to everything I can find, this translates to a 90/90 in metric. It is nearly impossible to find a 19" tire that skinny. Is it safe to go up to a 100/90 instead?

Some of the few tires I can find that do exist in the proper size are the Avon Roadriders and the IRC GS-11. I've heard good things about the Avons. What's the verdict on IRC?

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Mar 14, 2012

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Do tubes need to be specced as exactly the same size as the tire they're going in, or can you get away with something a little different? I'm going to buy a set of Bridgestone TW26 and TW39, 110/80-1918 and 90/100-19 respectively, but I can't find tubes in precisely those sizes. Are 110/100-18 and 70/100-19close enough? Obviously the diameter needs to be the same, but is it better to go with a wider/taller tube, or a thinner/narrower one?

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 20, 2012

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Whoops, sorry...that was a typo. It's an 18" wheel in the back. I figured that the diameters at least had to be identical for proper fit.

I have seen tubes specified with a range of sizes before, but the online places don't seem to do that. I guess I should look on the manufacturers' own websites or something?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Gullous posted:

Denniskirk has data! I put in 110/80-18 and this was in the specs:

Lesson learned - tubes are versatile.

Wow, that's...extremely useful. I wish more places would list all that information.

90/100-19 ironically just brings up the tire that I'm trying to buy it for, but I sent them an email and will continue looking. Thanks!

[e] there are bajillions of tubes that supposedly fit anything from a 90/90 to 120/90. Surely one of those would work.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 20, 2012

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I would suggest buying any tire at all, having someone professional install it ASAP, and saving yourself the trip to the emergency room :stare:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well, if the person who buys it is sane, they'll replace the tire first thing anyway, so if you have the old one on they'll probably try to talk you down an equivalent amount. If you have two brand new tires on the bike (keep the dated receipt for both the tires and the installation) you can bring the price up a little, especially for a new rider who doesn't want to deal with immediate repairs. Ultimately you shouldn't be out too much cash and you won't have the weight on your conscience when a newbie buys the bike with bald tires, is dumb and rides it anyway, and immediately crashes.

That said the front isn't as bad as the rear, no. It still has some tread. But beyond just wearing down, tires do get old and dry...I'd imagine that the heat in Texas isn't that good for them either. It's really up to you but I personally wouldn't ride it without replacing both. Your tires are all that keep you upright and on the road, remember, and unlike a car, both of them are equally critical.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 3, 2013

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Out of curiosity, does the tire tread pattern change the pressure you should be running in them?

The manual for my CL recommends 25-28psi in the front and 28-31 in the back. This is with your standard 1970s style street tire, pretty smooth with a lot of circumferential grooves. I've got 80/20 dual sport tires installed, which look like this

and have been running 27/30. Everything feels fine -- the actual profile of the tire is still quite round and smooth -- but does the different size and shape of contact patch mean that you're theoretically supposed to run higher or lower than stock? Or is that entirely a function of the bike's weight and balance and your riding style?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

wallaka posted:

Yeah, a scotchbrite pad isn't abrasive at all and in no way analogous to sandpaper.

Green scotch-brite pads are impregnated with aluminum oxide grit :ssh:

(a good thing to remember if you're ever thinking about using one to e.g. clean off an old head gasket)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

For now I'd just say replace it with the same stock tire. If you're learning to ride, there's no real need for anything fancier and more expensive.

But yeah check the valve stem. Sometimes they can get dinged and start leaking around the base in a way that's not obvious unless you push and prod it for a while.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Verge posted:

i have ebc double h sintered breaks

gently caress you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

All the places I've been to, they've changed the tires within 30 minutes on the spot if I brought them the wheels.

I mean it only takes like 2 minutes per wheel if you have a tire machine (they do), since most of the effort is in unbolting everything and getting the wheels off the bike in the first place. They can do it in between jobs and make 30-50 bucks instantly.

• Locked thread