Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
Do dual/triple compound tires last that much longer? IME they do and their worth the extra money. Thoughts? Also how long do tires usually last on a 600? 1000?

My first set of tires on the F4i were Shinko Stealth 003 Softs (cheap single compound). That rear lasted 4500 and it was bald at the end. 1 track day, rest commuting.

Next I had Pilot Power 2CT's (dual compound) and the rear lasted 5800 miles until it got a nail and I replaced it. It was almost to the wear bar, but had about 500-1000 more miles in it I would guess. 2 or 3 trackdays, then commuting.
So let's say that rear tire would've lasted 6500 miles and I loved the grip it had.

I now have a BT-016 (triple compound) on the rear and 2CT on the front. So we'll see how long it lasts. It feels just as good as my 2CT so far, haven't tracked it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
I had a set of Shinko 003 Stealth softs on my F4i. $165 and the rear lasted 4500 miles. The front still had a few thousand left but I changed it with the rear.

It was a great tire for the street, commuting and aggressive street riding, but when I took it to the track (my 2nd track day ever) at the end of the day it was going off and caused a bad tank slapper that almost threw me off the bike.

So I would recommend Shinko's for anything short of going to the track, as long as you can be very aware of your limits and accept the limited wear (at least on the softer compounds)

But if you have the money, get a set of Pilot Power 2CT's. I liked them more than the Bridgestone BT016 I have now actually.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

bike: F4i--mostly commuting, some street fun riding and some track days.

I'm in love with Pilot Power 2CT's and looking to get another set.

My front 2CT is a thousand miles or so till replacement and my rear Battlax BT016 isn't far behind it. I DID like the BT-016, but very slightly less than the 2CT I had before.

Tires unlimited has a FULL SET set of Pilot Power's for $229.00 shipped
http://www.tiresunlimited.com/Michelin_powercombo.htm

Otherwise I would get the 2CT's from Tire Express again for $319 shipped
http://www.tireexpress.com/prod.cfm/fid/6/pid/18998

Any thoughts on how the Pilot powers compare to the 2CT's?
Anyone ever order from Tires Unlimited?

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

Thanks both, I'll go with the pp's due to the great price.

Saga posted:

If you're commuting mostly, not sure I'd choose those tyres. That's pretty similar to my mix of use, and having done lots of track days on second-rate sports and good sports touring rubber, I'd go for something more along the lines of the latter. But then I don't really like Michelins anyway.

I've tracked worse tires (Shinkos) and they were downright scary once they started to get hot. I think touring rubber wouldn't handle the track much better.

My long term plan IS to grab a set of rims and mount some race rubber and then get sport/touring rubber like you say.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

Wow tireexpress has a package deal with a set of Pilot Power 2CT's shipped for $220 shipped! I'm on it

That's almost as cheap as a set of Shinko garbage

http://www.tireexpress.com/prod.cfm/cid/6706/pid/18998

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

If anyone has the same Harbor Frieght tire changer that I have and found it way too unstable like I did, my dad and I came up with a pretty good solution:

I just bought like 6 feet of 2x2 steel bar stock and welded it to the side of the tire changer. Now I just slide that bar into the hitch of my truck and it's totally solidly mounted for all the levering and pulling you can do.

It has made tire changing at least 10x easier.
This and some good tire spoons and I look forward to wearing out tires :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I thought about that but I don't really have a place to permanently mount it in my garage

• Locked thread