Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
Apologies in advance if this isn't the best place to put this.

While I know a decent amount about car tire brands, I know very little when it comes to motorcycle tires. I have a 1980 Suzuki GS850 GL that needs new tires (the tires on it are old and dryrotted), and I have no idea what I should be looking for other than "round" and "holds air". I'm a new owner/rider, usage will be city commuting with extended recreational use on weekends, eventually riding double up once I'm a more seasoned rider. Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002

Nerobro posted:

Bridgestone bT45's or perelli sport demons.

Oh hey, just wanted to give a belated thanks - I got the BT45's installed last week, and have been really happy with them so far =)

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I just put another set of Pilot Road 2's on my ST1300 and have nothing but good things to say about them.

If you have a local hookup to get them mounted, you might call Tim at Two Brothers Tire (twobrotherstires.com/), he's been hooking us up on the ST boards with really good prices on tire sets.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002

Tsaven Nava posted:

*edit* Arg fail, they don't make those in the front tire size for the Wee.

Front tire is a 110/80 R19, rear is a 150/70 R17

oh that sucks... :( talk to Tim though, he can probably recommend something... I'm sure he's put tires on a Wee before :)

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002

needknees posted:

What kind of life did you see out of your first set? And if you don't mind me asking what kind of price did you get from the Two Brothers Tire guy?

I think they got around 7,000 miles before I changed them. The front was still in fairly good shape, the rear was still ok in the center but shot to hell on the edges thanks to a lovely tire gauge telling me they were at 42psi when they really weren't.

I'm the 3rd owner, and I personally put 5500 miles on them. The second owner put about 1,000 miles on them, they were on the bike when he bought it. I don't know how many miles the first owner put on them. I'm fully expecting to get 8 - 10k out of this set, based on feedback from other ST1300 riders.

Price was $260 delivered (120/70ZR18 and 170/60ZR17)

Raven457 fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 26, 2010

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
Cycle Asylum: Just take it slow and use lots of lube

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
Tire - Michelin Pilot Road 2 (PR2)
Sizes - 120/70ZR18, 170/60ZR17
Application - 2003 Honda ST1300
Miles - 8175
Riding - daily driver/commuter, weeknight two up local riding, weekend two up touring

Well, the PR2s I put on back in March are toast. This was the second set of PR2s on the bike, and I ran them at 42psi front/rear per Honda recommendations. I made sure to check the pressure about twice a week, but by 5500 miles I had heavy cupping around the edges on the rear and a noticeable wear pattern on the front. I upped the cold PSI to 45 after talking with a tire rep in an attempt to slow the wear on the rear.

That seemed to slow things some, but the damage was already done. The ST1300 is a heavy bike, I'm a heavy guy, the majority of my miles were done running two up, and I'm not always all that easy on the throttle. When we pulled the tires after 8175 total miles, the rear was worn past the wear indicator on the left edge, had about two tenths on the center, and was even with the indicator on the right edge. The tires had been quite noisy for a while, generating a bit of a roaring noise when straight up that turned into a howl while turning.

The PR2s never once let me down though, and traction in rain and light snow was never an issue. I'd hoped to get 8k-10k out of them, and I got 8k, so I'm happy.

I'd recommend them to anyone and would probably run them again in the future. Having said that, and having run through two sets of PR2s, I've switched to a set of Bridgestone BT-023. I changed tires because the BT-023s have been getting good reviews from other ST1300 riders, have had the same reported mileage as the PR2s, and were about $50 cheaper.

• Locked thread