Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvilDonald
Aug 30, 2002

I'm the urban spaceman, baby.

frozenphil posted:

This doesn't look safe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZKhoFbL7Fo

Yeah, that tire changes its contact patch all over the silly place, doesn't it? A bit scary when you start thinking about the varying levels of traction as it does that. I don't think I'd run a car tire on a regular bike like that, although I've seen it done. I probably would use car tires on a sidecar rig, though. Car tires on the rear and the sidecar, bike tire on the front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilDonald
Aug 30, 2002

Here ya go.

http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Equipment/valve_stem_extensions1.htm

EvilDonald
Aug 30, 2002

It's Motorcycle Tire Ask/Tell time!

Tell me about Avon Gripsters.

I ride a KLR650, and after a bit of a plop into a mudhole that required a good deal of wrenching to set right, am saving future off-road learning for when I pick up a light little 250 something. I want a tire that can handle your basic dirt/gravel roads, is competent on the street and lasts a while, and from what I've read the Gripster fits the bill.

For reference, I'm happy with the crappy stock Dunlops, the TKC80 I have on the back now performs admirably but vibrates the rear end a bit at highway speeds (this may be due to poor balancing), but I'd like something that lasts a bit longer and don't really need a knobby. I am a rather conservative rider.

Failing the Gripster, any suggestions? I'll need two tires before too terribly long.

EvilDonald
Aug 30, 2002

I'd think about anything would work short of motor oil. Electrician's cable pull lube, Vaseline, spray silicon, white lithium, dish soap...

Probably best to just get tire munting lube though.

EvilDonald
Aug 30, 2002

Chairon posted:

Yank it, if it's leaking, get a patch. If not, you're great.

Yeah, if you don't pull it now and have a possible leak you'll eventually push it in far enough to be a definite leak. Steel is a bit harder than rubber.

EvilDonald
Aug 30, 2002

How 'bout innertubes? I bought a Mefo Explorer for my KLR, and figured I'd replace the tube while I was at it. The Kawi dealer had two tubes in 90-90-21, a Kawasaki "heavy duty" one for $11, and a Michelin "heavy duty" one for $25. I got the $11 one, but is there really that much difference in innertubes? I figure the tire has all the strength and the tube just has to hold air, so unless you're banging around in the dirt with low pressures a lot, risking pinch flats, it shouldn't matter that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilDonald
Aug 30, 2002

I used Twisted Throttle this last time and am happy. The tire came quickly and the price was good. And Bike Bandit's always a safe bet.

• Locked thread