Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

It must be UV or ground ozone levels or something. My bike lives in the sun all day and my one year old (by date code, they've only been on the bike maybe 4 months) tires already are showing cracking around the treads and a bit on the sidewall.
I honestly doubt at the current rate of deterioration that they'd make it anywhere near 7 years before they were dry rotted all to hell. Thankfully I put enough miles on them that they usually only last 6-8 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Ok so I probably already know the answer just looking for verification.

I'm almost done with my FZR project and it's time for tires/chain/sprockets. The bike has a normal 17in. front wheel but a goofy 18in. rear. As of right now there is one tire I can get in the proper size which is a Shinko. I can get a Sport Demon in almost the right size for now as well.
Option 2: I can spend about $400 extra and get Speedwerks SV650 rear wheel conversion kit which will allow me to run pretty much any modern rubber.

Option 3 is finishing it up, putting whatever tires on it and selling it for something more modern. I probably, maybe could get my money back out but it's a salvage title and I have been using it as a therapeutic project so I've spent a lot of cash and time on detail poo poo (new levers, windscreen, factory carb parts, EBC rotors, stainless lines, R6 master, valve adjustment and gaskets, polishing plastics, recapping the tach, removing and lubing every drat bearing in the bike, etc).

I'm probably going to go with option 2. In for a penny, in for a pound right?

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Conversion kit comes with a machined sprocket carrier, bearings, brembo caliper, aluminum mount, brake arm and spacers.
I just need a complete rear wheel assembly from a Gen1. I send the sprocket carrier in for a core and get that other stuff back for $350.

I'd be painting the rim white to match the front anyway so gaudy is no issue. I've located one on eBay for $75 shipped. Was gonna put an ad on cl and see if something local pops up unless you really want to ditch your gaudy one.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Ok, that would certainly help, thanks!
Guess that seals the deal, I'll go ahead and keep spending money on the pile :)

I'll send you a PM when I'm at lunch and not supposed to be "working".

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I've already sourced dog bones that raise the rear 30mm which is what most guys on the FZR forums says brings you back to normal ride height.

PM inbound

EDIT: Oh yeah, tire question. What tires should I put on it? It's going to be a weekend/track day bike only. The front is a 110 and the rear is 150 or 160.
I haven't had to shop for modern rubber in ages and am lost.

Bugdrvr fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Feb 5, 2014

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

^^^No BT 014 anymore apparently. Just got excited and searched around but seems like they are discontinued :(

NWDub posted:

FZR600? I had one of those.

The rear is problem. I believe shinko makes the only radial rear these days. I used an Avon storm 2 ultra back when they made them in 150/70-18 which is now discontinued. I would also put on the stickiest radial tire on the front that you can, if you upsize, just upsize the front. (if you go 150/60-18 rear you can go 110/80-17 front)

also you cannot fit a 120 on the front tire :(

edit: I really don't think you gain anything because of how soft the suspension is. Tires aren't the limiting factor, the soft soft suspension is.

I forgot to mention in my post above but it's got Race Tech springs and valves in the front and a freshly rebuilt Fox TC on the rear. The suspension should be pretty solid.
If I was only using it to cruise around I'd just put whatever on there but aside from having something to zone out on in the garage, I plan on taking it to as many track days as I can drag my rear end to. I was planning on buying a new(er) bike but this stray showed up and became the new bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

XYLOPAGUS posted:

BT-016 will fit, too. I'm running one right now :D. According to the guy I bought my bike from, it's not a bad tire, even for mild track riding. Mine has started flat spotting so I need to replace it pretty quickly.

My PO also included a "kit" to convert the back to a normal 17 inch rear. It included a wheel, axle, shims, caliper bracket, caliper, and another brake line. He also gave me a matching front wheel with BT-003's mounted on both AND in decent shape. If I'm not feeling super effin' lazy this weekend, I was going to try and mount it. I'll post pics for you if you'd like. He picked up the setup off of stock bikes (I believe a GS500 or something), so it should be pretty darn frugal.

As far as I can tell they are discontinued too. Looks like even just in 2012 there were a good bunch of tires available if you go by posts on the FZR Archives but now there are only those few that are left.

I'd definitely be interested in seeing pics of that kit if you're up for photo taking. From reading around it seems like there are quite a few different variations of parts piles that will get you a 17 inch rear wheel but at this point I think the only way I'd build up a swap myself is if I could find whatever parts I needed that will just bolt on. My buddy owns a machine shop but I'm too lazy to be taking poo poo apart and measuring x1000 just to save the $300 for the Speedwerks kit.

I was talking to a guy from there and he's going to hook me up with dog bones and take off 520 chain and sprockets from last years race bike for cheap so I'm sold.

• Locked thread