Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Z3n posted:

What sizes should I run?
How much wider can you run the rear tire? For those with 160 tires on the rear of their bike, looking for a "fatter" look, do not go over a 170 profile. A 180 will be squished on the rim and will flatspot and wear quickly, as well as reduce contact patch while leaned over

To illustrate the "wear quickly" and "decreased contact patch" thought, here's a 140 series Dunlop D208-SM Sportmax tire on an '08 Ninja 250 after 1800 miles. The stock size is 130.

Also, Z3n, you forgot those of us without access to fancy radials. Pirelli Sport Demons are pretty good bias ply tires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Simkin posted:

Those are called chicken strips, phil. :cool:

It may be hard to see, but that area is actually pinched in because the wheel is too narrow for the tire.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Ripoff posted:

Plugging vs. Replacing Tubeless Tires

Being that I am an extraordinarily lucky guy I've had the blessing to receive 2 gigantic gently caress-off screws in my rear tire within a year. Sick of paying $150 every time some loving idiot contractor forgets to do such advanced things as "close a box" or "shut a tailgate", I started looking into plugging motorcycle tires.

What I didn't expect is that this is actually a debated issue amongst motorcyclists of all types.

I was told mostly by mechanics, a few people I know personally, and on the internet that the only tire you can plug on a motorcycle is a tubeless one, and that's if you also replace the tube within. Otherwise, it's generally a bad idea to plug a motorcycle tire. I had a hardcore Harley mechanic working on some old shovelheads tell me that "he wouldn't suggest ever running on a plug". He wore a brain bucket and short sleeves when he rode, so that kinda caught me by surprise.

Again, on the other side of the debate, I've been told that plugging is generally harmless on a bike tire, again by people I know personally and on the internet. A few have told me that they feel most people can't/won't ever stress their tire to the point where a plug would show it's weakness, so you generally won't run into issues. If you're racing, plugging is a dumb idea. If you're commuting, probably not.

I personally decided to replace the entire tire because I am a huge wuss safety Nazi and I personally felt better that way. However, I do know that in a pinch you can plug a tire to get you home. I rode about 6 miles on a plug on my radial Diablo Stradas with no issues whatsoever. The tire was holding pressure a week later as well.

Carrying a spare wheel/tire is a hell of a tough thing to do on a bike, so I can see why this is such a debated issue.

I would think most people realize and agree that carrying a plug kit for emergencies is a lot easier and more feasible that carrying a spare tire on a motorcycle. I would also assume that they will agree that you can ride that plugged tire back home.

The argument comes in with people who believe you can continue to ride on the plugged tire and those who do not believe you can safely. Personally, plugs don't scare me.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

ick pik posted:

No love for those of us that go incredible amounts of miles on the interstates and never get too crazy in the corners?

I do remember reading a while back on another forum about people that put car tires on their bikes. Met one guy awhile back that actually had a car tire on his rear wheel. These were riders that usually did over 50000 miles a year though, and weren't too fond of replacing tires twice a year. Some had been through several sets too, so it seems pretty safe for those of us that are slab riders. Too bad my wheels aren't big enough.

This doesn't look safe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZKhoFbL7Fo

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

EvilDonald posted:

Yeah, that tire changes its contact patch all over the silly place, doesn't it? A bit scary when you start thinking about the varying levels of traction as it does that. I don't think I'd run a car tire on a regular bike like that, although I've seen it done. I probably would use car tires on a sidecar rig, though. Car tires on the rear and the sidecar, bike tire on the front.

It's one of those videos that you just know the person who made it uses it to show people that it is perfectly safe because the tire is never on the sidewall.

Am I crazy for not trusting the IRC tires that came stock on my bike? I haven't felt any reason to be concerned about the tires, but the Internet seems to believe I will die.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Methusulah posted:

Jesus, Delta Tire wanted 300 bucks just for the Sport Demons. Found them online for 200 free shipping, and Delta Will install them for 30 bucks. Hell yeah.

Gimme dat link as I want to replace the stock IRCs on my '09 Ninja 250R.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

UFS207 posted:

P.S. - I know it's a longshot since most of you guys are on the west coast but if someone has a line on a decent shop in the Central, AL area that will mount bring-ins for a reasonable fee I'm all ears.

Go register over at Alabama Sportbike. There are several members and shops who will install tires for you for either a discount or a six pack. I believe the dude in Hoover charges $40. They also have a shop review forum so you can find a decent place.

Where in Alabama are you?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

-Inu- posted:

You have a 250 right? I personally hated my BT-45's, but a lot of people really like them. They have excellent wet grip and last for-freaking-ever, and they are dual compound so there is a stickier compound on the sides.. You can check out my post in the 250 thread but I'm running BT-090's now and I'm in love with them. If you're gonna be doing a lot of twisty riding and won't be riding in the rain much I would highly recommend the 090's. If you're mostly commuting with the occasional weekend ride up in the mountains you'll probably like the 45's. 090's are much more of a performance oriented tire, I'd call them a BT-016 but for smaller bikes. You'll see about 4000 miles (that's what I'm estimating anyways, I only have a grand on them so far) out of the 090's and probably 10,000 out of the 45's.

Which BT-090s did you get and from where? All I'm finding are the ones for the WR250X and they are tube type tires. The tubeless ones are no longer sold in the US according to Bridgestone.
Some people over on ninja250.org are saying that you can run the tube type without the tube just fine, however.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

-Inu- posted:

shrug!

Yeah, Bridestone sells 2 types of BT-090 and according to Bridgestone they no longer sell the tubeless version in America in the 140/70-17 size.

Here's the relevant reply in the thread about these tires on ninja250.org.

frozenphil fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Apr 20, 2010

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Z3n posted:

Pirelli Sport Demons are pretty much the standby for 250 tires. Spend a bit more on tires up front, save on crash expenses and tire bills in the long run.

I love the Sport Demons on my 250, but my sample size of tires is exactly two different brands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

You never mix and match radial and bias-ply tires.

• Locked thread