Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Plugging vs. Replacing Tubeless Tires

Being that I am an extraordinarily lucky guy I've had the blessing to receive 2 gigantic gently caress-off screws in my rear tire within a year. Sick of paying $150 every time some loving idiot contractor forgets to do such advanced things as "close a box" or "shut a tailgate", I started looking into plugging motorcycle tires.

What I didn't expect is that this is actually a debated issue amongst motorcyclists of all types.

I was told mostly by mechanics, a few people I know personally, and on the internet that the only tire you can plug on a motorcycle is a tubeless one, and that's if you also replace the tube within. Otherwise, it's generally a bad idea to plug a motorcycle tire. I had a hardcore Harley mechanic working on some old shovelheads tell me that "he wouldn't suggest ever running on a plug". He wore a brain bucket and short sleeves when he rode, so that kinda caught me by surprise.

Again, on the other side of the debate, I've been told that plugging is generally harmless on a bike tire, again by people I know personally and on the internet. A few have told me that they feel most people can't/won't ever stress their tire to the point where a plug would show it's weakness, so you generally won't run into issues. If you're racing, plugging is a dumb idea. If you're commuting, probably not.

I personally decided to replace the entire tire because I am a huge wuss safety Nazi and I personally felt better that way. However, I do know that in a pinch you can plug a tire to get you home. I rode about 6 miles on a plug on my radial Diablo Stradas with no issues whatsoever. The tire was holding pressure a week later as well.

Carrying a spare wheel/tire is a hell of a tough thing to do on a bike, so I can see why this is such a debated issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
The bike I just bought has Pilot Road 3's from early/mid 2012 on it, with good tread. The previous owner told me he believes the tires are too old and should be replaced, but I'm not convinced that they will need replacement immediately.

As long as the tread is decent and the tires aren't squared off, is running a tire from 2012 a bad idea?

• Locked thread