Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I finally changed tires on my Tuono. Went from Mich PP's to Dunlop Roadsmarts. So far so good, the PPs were squared as all hell (probably 85% of my riding is commuting now :( ) and the bike would almost fight me on turn in and not want to hold lean. The smarts tip in oh so easy and hold very neutral lean angle and it's easy to adjust midcorner. Pretty impressed with the grip, too. Hopefully I'll get more than 5k miles out of the rear. Modern tires :swoon:

Oh and I don't think I ever want to change tires again, I've done about 5 sets now and while it has generally gone smoothly sometimes I hit a snag and it makes me want to die (took about 4 hours to get beads broken).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Basically, remember orientation for any spacers, usually brake calipers have to come off (just a couple caliper mount bolts, don't mess with pads), then I use a zip tie so the caliper isn't hanging from the brake line. Axle gets a wipe down and thin coat of grease if it looks it needs it.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I bought the bead popper but haven't used it yet. I've changed 4 sets of tires by hand so far and the only hard part is breaking the bead (and in one case setting the bead - stubborn tire and my weak rear end compressor couldn't do it). If I remember I'll post a review of how it compares to my normal ghetto method of breaking the bead, which either works brilliantly and quickly or takes 3 hours of sweat and cursing.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Trip report, Pilot Road 3. You know, the ones with the crazy rain sipes. So far excellent, much better feel than the conti sport whatevers I had before (though to be fair they had gotten pretty squared off). Turn in on the michelins was insane, almost too quick at first (maybe it was just me) but seems to have mellowed after a day or 2.

Turn in is pretty neutral, could be easier but I am a fan of razor edge unstable turn in feel. Line through corners is excellent, they hold line well and are very neutral. Feel free to let go of the bars. I had to keep constant pressure with my contis to maintain a line.

I can't speak on wear yet. In the wet they have been good, surefooted so far. But I don't really push it in the wet. I'm sure there is a load of grip there. They seem to warm up quick/stick well when still cool. Overall I'm a happy camper. Bike is a 01 B12S.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Whenever I mount tires I balance them. It's really easy to do, I just use the axle and 2 things sit it on so the wheel can spin. Usually the wheel will obviously fall to a certain side. Experiment with spinning it, find the exact side, tape some sticky weights opposite it. Reapeat by trial and error until placing the wheel at different rotations results in no spinning. Takes like 5 minutes. Done this with track and street tires and never noticed vibration. I've also never NOT done it and noticed vibration, so who knows whether I'm wasting my time or not. I can definitely say for sure that wheels are usually not in perfect balance after tire mount, and you can improve the balance and get them perfect less bearing friction using a few minutes and sticky weights.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

They don't matter, don't worry about it.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I tried to go somewhere reallllly easyyyyyy in moderate rain with brand new tires on once, didn't make it out of the driveway (slight curve uphill).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

If you're a real cheapass you can just get a pair of good tire irons, cut up plastic containers as rim-savers, and dish soap or windex for lube. I used to break the bead with a wedge-shaped wood block and a long-rear end 2x4 to break the bead (worst part). Involved lots of sweat and swearing. I suppose a lot of people either don't want to bother with all the tools or for people who don't have garages just don't have room for them.

And a lot of people don't ride that much, for $200+ worth of tools will get you at least 3 tire changes at shops, for people who ride a few k/yr that's years to break even on equipment and reteaching yourself every time.

• Locked thread