Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Saga posted:

Never over 75MPH?

Not hugely confidence inspiring!

At least I know when I get a puncture and throw the tyre away, I'm not wasting my money. :)

I've been rolling on plugged tires for almost 10k mi on my vstar and I am still alive. Seattle to East Idadho and back, a big loop around California, etc. I wasn't about to toss a 500mile-old tire just because I picked up a pair of nails.

If they were more like 8k old and a little ragged, I might consider a replacement.

I ride it above 75 all the time too, it holds air, is balanced well, and provides zero grief.

Maybe I am a rolling time bomb, who knows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Dial M for MURDER posted:

(Kent Kawasaki, RMC, etc)

I intend to give Ducati Bellevue a try for my next pair http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/713/98052/PreferredInstaller/Ducati-Bellevue.aspx - looks like they have a good price for wheel removal and install.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I hear that they do indeed have better wet traction but they don't last as long as the PR2s. I imagine the siping on the 3s helps wear down the tread faster. My wife has PR2s on her R1150R and she rides it to Sodo pretty much daily; she has only good things to say about the PR2s. I think she has about 8k on them at this point and they are holding up well.

I plan to get the 2s for the Buell.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Either way, you win.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

frunksock posted:

I've got 6 year old tires What are my odds of a lowside if I ride it into the shop to get new tires?

Just ride like you're on a wet road with cut grass all over it and you should be OK.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I'd just match front and rear, the Pilot Power tires should be A-OK. You might chew the center up a bit and they probably won't be as good in the wet as the Pilot Road 2 or 3, but there are way worse tires to tour on.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I can only speak for the 2s - they heat up fast, stick well wet or dry, and last forever. I have 9000 mi mostly highways on mine and they've only begun to get a little half-inch flat spot in the middle; I expect another season from them.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Those Contis will probably be fine for your SV. I don't know if riding experience is much of a factor on those vs. PR2/PR3.

For me, the reason I pick the Pilot Roads is the life expectancy. My friend has a set of PR2s on his Ulysses that have lasted 15,000 miles. My wife had 10k on hers before she picked up a drill bit in one and just replaced both at once (with PR2s). I'm at 10k on mine and they look like they have another year left.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Anybody have experience with Pirelli Angel ST tires?

I'm going to replace my PR2s before riding cross country. I unluckily punctured the rear yesterday right after I declared the bike ready to go pending an oil change, which is frustrating but I guess new tires are always awesome.

The Pirellis are less expensive than the PR3s I can get at the local Ducati place and they seem to be held in fairly high regard. Are they good or should I just drop the extra howevermany dollars on the PR3s?

Also, what's up with the OEM-replacement specific tire models? They have a 180-55/17 and a 180-55/17-E that is supposed to be OEM replacement for a XB12XT. Granted, I have the XB12X (not the T), but is there anything I consider when it comes to that?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
So I "wheeled and dealed" a little and got a good enough price on the Pilot Road 3s to tip the scales away from the Pirelli Angels. These better be worth the $50 more they cost compared to the PR2s.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

BlackMK4 posted:

New rear tire time... how long should a PR2 or PR3 last on the rear of a torqey 600? No more trackdays until September and I plan on riding out to the Bay this summer - not really worth killing a PP2CT over.

I got 10k mostly freeway on my pr2s before I picked up a puncture. A friend with the same 1200 twin got 15k. Both replaced with the 3s. They're great high mile tires.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

makka-setan posted:

the bike wants to fall into the corners

The effortless, telepathic handling is the best part about new tires.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Before my Sturgis trip I had some Metzeler Tourace Next tires put on. I sort of have tire regret; should have got the Pilot Roads which I know to be awesome.

Rear: for a "high mile" tire, I'm developing a noticeable flat spot in the middle after only a couple thousand miles of interstate. For comparison, it took 10,000 miles to notice the same flat spot on a rear PR3.

Front: the low speed handling is awful. Maybe it's too tall a profile for my bike's geometry or something, but if I'm at direct-steer speed it feels like the tire is actively resisting my inputs, like the front end is being wrenched in two different directions.

Highway: they're pretty fine at speed. But I prefer the more progressive feel when leaning the bike on Pilot Roads. Feels like at a certain point the Metzelers want to fall further into a turn.

Off pavement: can't really complain here. Seem to hold on alright as long as it's dryish and not sandy.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Mcqueen posted:

PR3 or PR4 for mostly street riding in Seattle?

I had PR3's before and loved them.

Get the Road 4s you will love them too.

clutchpuck posted:

Before my Sturgis trip I had some Metzeler Tourace Next tires put on. I sort of have tire regret; should have got the Pilot Roads which I know to be awesome.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Diggie posted:

2001 Suzuki Intruder (VL800), sorry. Forgot to mention that. I commute almost everyday. Obviously I won't be dragging my knee or anything. Just to work and home, hitting back roads on the weekends when I can.

Shinko Tour Master 230

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I've done Road 3s on gravel. They work OK on packed roads. Very iffy if the gravel is loose or if it's wet.

Loose gravel result:

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Aug 18, 2015

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I heard Metzeler Roadtec 01s are pretty sweet ST tires, comparable to PR4s so I tried them out. They are cheaper than PR4 from Revzilla at least in the 120 and 180 flavors.

PR4s seem to have a progressive resistance to leaning where the Roadtecs tip in more easily and then have more linear/neutral feel on the sides I guess? They seem to want to stand the bike up less on throttle so it feels more planted in the corners. I like it. The tread pattern is neater and less overwrought looking (again compared to PR4), and they give you those little elephant chicken indexers too hahaha.

I guess I'll see how the longevity goes, I'm only 1000 miles in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
It takes me 2 minutes just to clean the rim and lube the wheel.

20 minutes-ish is my record for one tire off and one on and balanced, using a no-mar.

• Locked thread