Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sick_Nukes
Aug 10, 2004
How do you feel on the subject of using race take offs for street or trackdays?

I recently mounted a pair of used Michelin Pilot Race's I got off of ebay for the street the seem good enough. Would a noob be able to use them on the track without any worries? Are track day providers likely to shoot them down in tech? Otherwise as long as you can do the mount and balance yourself seems like it's a good way to get quality tires on the cheap.

front

rear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sick_Nukes
Aug 10, 2004

Simkin posted:

That's pretty much all that I ever ran (with the exception of the last set, that was sold to me for a song by my sponsor :v: ). They will vary in quality - some of the ones that I picked up I probably shouldn't have even bothered wasting the energy to bring back to my garage, but for ~$25 a tyre, it's hard to say no. I failed on the whole 'mount it yerself' bit, though, which really ended up compounding costs.

Oh, also, make drat sure what compound you're getting. DO NOT BUY QUALIFYING COMPOUND TAKE-OFFS. Most manufacturers will have some little code letting you know what hardness the tyre compound is, and it usually ranges from 0 (softest) -> 3 (hardest). 2 or 3 is usually perfect for track days and longer races.

Thanks for the advice guys I will be sure to watch for the compound when buying them.

• Locked thread