Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Tyre guru, how does this rear look?

Aside from the chunk of metal which has slit the tread block up near the reflector.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

It was on there when I got it. ^:)^

What about the profile of the tyre, is this squared off?

What would be a good suggestion if I wanted to get new tyres for it? A sports touring tyre would be the go I guess given I would be doing a fair amount of around town riding in between proper rides.

Do I have to check with Honda or the tyre manufacturer to find out whether a certain tyre is recommended for my bike?

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Z3n posted:

Looks fine to me...how old is it, are you experiencing any negative feel from it?

Dunno how old, the PO put them on there AFAIK. The tread depth is still fine.

In terms of kms traveled, I'm still very much a new rider despite having had the bike for about 8 months or so, and that's probably what the problem is here, but I am finding it hard to turn on the twisties. I think this is most likely psychological and I need to go practice somewhere safe to convince my brain that the bike will happily lean much further than I am pushing it.

Anyway, sometimes it also feels like I wobble a bit when leaned over, and looking at the tyre it is more worn in the middle - I guess I was wondering if that could be causing the oscillation.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Just checked what the tyres are that are on my bike currently, and they're Bridgestone Exedra G01 and G02. There's nothing I can find on these tyres on the web (I guess they are no longer made and have been replaced with other G series model numbers), but according to Google:

quote:

Designed primarily for Japanese cruisers, the Exedra G series provides long mileage, good stability, crisp handling and riding comfort.

Bridgestone's website posted:

Designed primarily for American-type motorcycles, Exedra series provides long mileage, good straightway stability, easy handling and riding comfort.

Assuming this has always been the case, then I would be much better off with something like the Sport Demons if I want a tyre which is a better fit for Sport/Touring riding on my bike, wouldn't I? The reviews I can see online for them are more or less glowing.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Z3n posted:

What's the date code on the tires?

But yeah, it sounds like the tires are in less than ideal shape...also, try relaxing your outside arm and using nothing but countersteering by pushing forward on the inside bar. You should be able to push on the bar and lean the bike a given amount. You'll have to relax and let the bike turn though, it's possible to mess things up by being stiff on the bars or tense. Just relax and push on the inside bar, the bike should lean smoothly.

Can't see the date code as it's under a cover at the moment, will take a better look shortly as I have to duck out to run an errand. I did however just realise that my brain removed a number from the model number before I quoted it here, actually I should have said G601 and G602. Bridgestone's website tells me that these are the OE tyres, which could make them 4 years old if they are the originals (dunno how likely this is with 12,000kms on the clock). Some of the mentions of the OE tyres I saw this morning referred to them as "rim protectors", so it appears they are not well-liked when compared to Sport Demons or BT45s.

I was countersteering, and trying to stay relaxed on the bars at all times. I just feel like I can't lean as far to the right as I can to the left. When you hear "weight the inside peg", what does this mean exactly? Just slightly bias your weight to the inside foot, or put as much of your weight as possible through it? I also struggle a bit with looking forward to where I'm going while still being confident that my placement within my lane is good and I'm not going to put a wheel on the shoulder or cross the centre line. This is stuff for another thread I guess. I probably just need to ride more!

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Thanks for the replies. The basics behind turning I get, I just wondered exactly what "weight the inside peg" means, in detail. How much weight? Anyway, I suspect I'm overthinking it and the cure for all that ails me will be to ride more, so I'll get to doing that. I imagine that will go a long way to making me more comfortable with looking through turns and not freaking out too much about hitting the shoulder etc. :)

Re: the tyres, to get the thread back on track, I spoke to the PO and the tyres are the originals, which makes them 4 years old now. Based on their age, the fact the rear already has a plug or two in it, and the fact that these tyres have copped a bagging online when compared to the aforementioned Pirellis or Bridgestones, I think I'll get some new tyres anyway. $330 for a pair of Sport Demons or $360 for BT45s including fitting and balancing sounds pretty good to me.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

So I went and got me some new tyres today, got rid of the 4 year-old stock tyres (also referred to as "rim protectors" in one comment I found on the web), and got a set of Bridgestone BT45s put on. This bit is a cross-post from the what did you do to your bike thread, but is there any reason that after having the tyres changed, the front brake should feel really effective now? I could swear the lever doesn't have to move very far at all before the front brake is doing its thing, and I don't think it was like that beforehand. I'm struggling to think of a reason for this, so maybe I'm just imagining it?

From my 20km or so ride home, the bike feels really nice now, it loves to lean. Now to get them fully scrubbed in and start putting some twisty kms on them and get over whatever leaning issues I was having before - even today on the ride home I felt like I was leaning much better than before.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Anyone used the Pirelli Diablo Rosso 3?

I've got a Street Triple R which came with 2s stock. A fine tyre in the dry, certainly nothing I can fault at my skill level, but horrid in the wet, presumably just because they have no sipes on the centre line of the tyre so you can feel it moving around under you in the wet, and it's really not confidence-inspiring.

I've heard the 3s are an improvement on the 2s for wet weather, and just in general, and as I don't often ride in the rain I'm leaning toward these instead of something like PR4s, which I see really mixed reviews on in terms of poor turn in or lack of feeling or whatever.

Any input appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

They're probably not actually horrid in terms of grip levels but as I said, not confidence-inspiring at all because of the slight wobbling I seem to feel when there's water on the road. It's probably something I would do well to just ride through and get used to, but I've never ridden in the rain enough to reach that point as the bike is not my primary means of transportation.

• Locked thread