Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.
What's the mass consensus about replacing with age rather than miles?

My '07 Thruxton has the original OEM Metzlers on it - two years, 6,500 miles, plenty of tread.

I'd like to replace them with something that has more grip and a rounder (more sportbike - purely for looks) profile, but I'm willing to wait until they need it. Ideally I'd also like something with a bit more grip as the Metzlers refuse to hold a line over the painted double yellow on the freeway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

My bike has spoked wheels and valve stems that shoot straight up from the center of the rim. It is a pain in the rear end to feed a gas station air hose through my spokes to get an angle where I can inflate the tire.

I need new valve stems anyway due to a slow leak on my rear, so is it feasible to have mine replaced with a side-angled stem? Can I even replace the stems on a tubed tire? I haven't touched a tube since I was a pre-teen with a Schwinn so I have no idea how they operate on big boy bikes.

OrangeFurious fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 11, 2009

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Beautiful, thanks.

Z3n posted:

According to this, the thruxton 900 has tubeless tires.

Hence the confusion. I gave up on the internet solving this riddle and called the one Triumph dealer in SoCal that isn't incompetent. The '07 Thruxton has tubes.

I don't like tubes.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Thruxton tire talk time. I realize I've mentioned this before but am about ready to bite the bullet and buy the damned things. Not quite sure why I have such a resistance to replacing my obviously dead tires.

Stock
Metzler Lasertec

Front: 100/90x18 (33psi rec)
Rear: 130/80x17 (38pis rec)

These lasted two years, 6200 miles.

In addition to their short lifespan the Metzlers find and follow every groove in the road and are incapable of holding grip over painted lines and such. The Triumph boards I read also complain of a tendency to wobble. I've noticed that but won't blame it on the tire just yet. I think the Thruxton needs a steering dampener.

Upgrade
Avon RoadRiders
Front: 110/80 (35pis)
Rear: 140/80 (40pis)

SportDemons are an option, and much loved by this thread, but I'm reading they wear quicker than I care for. The Avon's are about the same price and said to wear well and maintain grip.

The larger sizes should fit on the bike without modification. My only concern is there may be more to the cost/benefit analysis of the larger tires - particularly the front - than I'm considering.

Thoughts?

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Saga posted:

If you're experiencing more than a bit of headshake (normal anyway with a naked bike with a skinny front hoop and wide bars), would it be stating the blindingly obvious to say it's worth checking the condition and tightness of your head bearings?

Thanks for the advice - Zen too.

I haven't done an inspection of the head bearings, but I'm inclined to believe the headshake is unrelated. It's pretty minimal and has been with the bike since I brought it home - I noticed it on first ride. This is also the reason I don't suspect it to be tire related. A friend of mine has an '07 Bonnie and noticed similar. I'm inclined to believe it's just the nature of the beast.

• Locked thread