Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Z3n posted:

Sidewall Construction
Brands that have a soft sidewall: Metzler, Pirelli.
Brands with a stiff sidewall: Dunlop, Michelin.
Bridgestone is an intermediate construction.

Question regarding this:

Doesn't sidewall stiffness have to do more with the plies/material used for a given size/tread style? Isn't it a little to broad of a stroke to say "this brand is a stiff sidewall, these do not" as the same manufacture will greatly change construction qualities based on size and type?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

OrangeFurious posted:

What's the mass consensus about replacing with age rather than miles?

My '07 Thruxton has the original OEM Metzlers on it - two years, 6,500 miles, plenty of tread.

I'd like to replace them with something that has more grip and a rounder (more sportbike - purely for looks) profile, but I'm willing to wait until they need it. Ideally I'd also like something with a bit more grip as the Metzlers refuse to hold a line over the painted double yellow on the freeway.

My 99 ST1100 is still on original rubber AFAIK @ 20000Kms. :ssh:

It's always garaged and covered though which make a big difference. UV is the big killer accelerator for rubber products. I have to do the ISO guidelines for my company and 7 years is the given for natural rubber products in general.

To be fair though, I'll be looking at a set for next season though.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So I decided I am going to order some new pilot road 3 tires after all (Actually, largely because I don't like the OEM BT-021), but also want to use this opportunity to change the battery in my TPMS which will require a bit of soldering.

So, instead of taking my rims back from the tire shop after they dismount the old ones to replace the soldered in battery, I'm thinking of doing it all myself in my garage. In order to do so, I'm going to need to buy some equipment for breaking the beads, spoons and a balancing stand/weights.

Are things like this below OK?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-...=item43a857a808
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-3-pc-Tire-Iron-Kit-/250801897467?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item3a64f53ffb
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-...=item43abaf17ca

Looks like for about $150 I could be in business for the once every few year tire changes. Is stuff like this OK for casual use?

Edit: I'd rather not gently caress up my rims

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks for the tip!

For what it was worth, I ended up ordering that breaker. Ordered those items and Pilot Road 3 tires. Should have a chance to put them on in the next couple of weeks.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks for the hint with the protectors. I probably have some sheets of UHMW at work I could gently caress around with, but I still might get those.

Also the warming up bit. Maybe I'll just do them in my basement if it isn't warm out or direct sun.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Just to make sure I am picturing this right: You just fold the plastic around the edge of the rim so when you pry the tire up and over you're not pushing the tire iron/spoon/whatever into the aluminum right?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

What is the consensus on dynabeads?

Are they safe to use with a TPMS?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Guys (gals?), I could really use some advice.

Doing the rear tire on my C14, 190/50ZR17.

It was a bitch, but I got the bead broken all around. The problem now: I cannot, for the life of me, get the first bit of the bead lifted over the rim. I hook under it with a tire tool (or prybar for that matter, I've tried), I cannot lever it over the edge. I actually start to significantly bend the tool and I am actually scared of bending the rim lip or snapping the tool. I am using rim protectors, thankfully.

Am I missing something super obvious here? I know I am getting a hook on the bead, but the whole lifting up past the normal bead rest zone on the rim is proving pretty much impossible. Ideas?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

If I squeeze it by hand I presume? I'll try. Thanks

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I stopped last night after this post (well, more precisely after I started watching that 70+ min vid of cycle mayhem and having some beverages) but I like that clamp idea. I think I can make that work, and as you describe it, it makes sense.

That tire is a pretty wide boot, so of course my virgin tire change is probably on one of the harder tires to do. Go me! :downs:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Wha? I have basically no sidewall and what I do have is super rigid. I image a narrow but tall dirtbike tire should be tons easier, no?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

OK, I am getting ticked off and hope someone can look at this and go "Oh, you big dummy, this is what you're doing wrong"

Firstly, tools I am using:

I am squeezing the sidewall, get it to drop center, but I cannot, for the life of me, "shift" the tire over a smidgen towards the side. THe only way I see it even possible would to literally use 7 or 8 clamps, get the whole thing under tension to go center and try.. but I don't have half a dozen clamps. As soon as I take the clamp tension off, the tire goes back more or less to the beadline on both sides. I actually broke the tip off tool #4 just a second ago trying to pry it up and over.

Like, a moment or two after this photo was taken, the whole thing was back to the inside of the bead line.

I am about >< close to saying gently caress it and take it somewhere, but I really don't like giving up, especially since I broke the bead all around... which I thought, foolishly, that would be the hard part. But really, I think I'm going to need to clamp it all the way around to move it over a bit. I have 2 quick clamps.

e: It just dawned on me. I know realize the zip tie method. Get it really compressed to the center. Zip tie. Move over. Repeat. Instead of 8 clamps I've got zip ties.

I don't have strong enough ones at home, but gently caress it, I'll buy some tomorrow.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Feb 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

When I was shopping, it came down to PR2s or PR3s. Consensus was that the 3s were a decent jump over the 2s as well.

• Locked thread