Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

JebattoRocket posted:

This is probably a stupid question, but what are the advantages/disadvantages of running tires with tubes versus without? Are tubed tires more commonly found on dual sports and dirt bikes?

Spoked wheels get a tube, the other ones get tubeless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Well I'm not going to say anything against the guidelines of the manufacturers lest the motorcycle gods pay negative attention to me. ;) I'm no walking motorcycle encyclopedia (we have nerobro for that) but I would not hesitate to use tubeless on casted wheels from whatever era. The warning is a complete mystery to me to be honest.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
That burnout needed more gasoline. :colbert:

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Two chairs, a level and paper. A dedicated balancer is unnecessary.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Last time I got new tyres a balance was definitely in order. Front end started shaking like mad at ~50 mph.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Yay new tires!

The guys at the shop said that new tires are almost literally as slick as ice for the first hundred miles.

Confirm/deny.

If you want to rough up the surface of your tyre to make sure it works like it should, do parking lot weaves for about 15 minutes. Go slow and shallow first and gradually increase lean and/or speed.

It used to be that manufacturers used some kind of grease to help release the rubber from the mold but today any slipperiness is attributed to the mold's polished surface.

Whatever the case it won't take nearly as much as 100 miles to scrub 'em in. More like, one. :rolleye:

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

EvilCrayon posted:

Need to get new tires for the CB-1. Incredibly tiny sizes but I'm already running a 150/40 in the rear so should I just spring for Pilot Road 3 front and rear? I'm one on the front of my VFR and it's been awesome but they're just so expensive....

You can fit some pr2's if the price difference is significant.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Z3n posted:

Yeah but you have a giant rim to move the tire around on, and you're more worried about flex in the carcass than the sidewall directly. A dirtbike tire doesn't really flex at all, has very little clearance, and you're usually shoving a tube in there as well.

A thought popped in to my head: does a dirtbike tyre also has a bead that needs to be set?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
It's recommended to get new tyres when the thread depth goes lower than 2mm. :)

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Motorcycle tyres aren't flat. Do some slaloms with lots of side to side to scuff the sides.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

M42 posted:

Is brand-new tires being hella slick still a thing? I hear modern mold release doesn't cause those problems anymore, just want to make sure.

That's a no on the mold release, yes on the sligtly slick. The surface of a tire needs to be a little roughed up before real use. I do slaloms and slowly increase the radius, that seems to do the trick nicely. Takes about all of ten minutes or thereabouts.

About a year ago at a dealership I saw a dude on a new gsx in an all-new suzuki getup drop it in a corner when driving off the lot. He wasn't trying to get on the gas too hard or anything; just leaned it too much. He was cursing up storm. I probably would too, if I had my parents and girlfriend right there as a witness to the whole thing. Yeech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Digital_Jesus posted:

I just take the green side of a Scotch-Brite pad and some rubbing alcohol to new tires when I get home to get any leftover mold wax / chemicals off then go hog wild.

New tire "break in" is overrated.

:doh: There are no release agents on tires since forever. The reason new tires are slippy is because the surface is too smooth. Your scotch-brite regime does nothing beyond the alcohol dissolving a bit of surface.

• Locked thread