Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

UFS207 posted:

Question for you guys buying tubeless radials online:

How are you getting them on your bike? Has anyone had any luck mounting with a set of tire spoons? I bought an '06 Z750S early this year and it's past due for tires.

I've always mounted my own (all bias-ply tube-type tires) on my old CB750 and various dirtbikes but never tubeless radials on cast rims. I am very hesitant to attempt it mainly due the cost of the tires/rims and fact they most likely will need to be properly balanced.

None of the dealerships will touch a tire you bring in for any price, you gotta buy from them. They claim it's for insurance reasons (convenient). I wouldn't have a problem with this if it weren't for the fact that most of the tires sold locally have at least a 50% markup over what I find online.

P.S. - I know it's a longshot since most of you guys are on the west coast but if someone has a line on a decent shop in the Central, AL area that will mount bring-ins for a reasonable fee I'm all ears.

I just mounted a 19" and a 16" tubeless on my bike with a set of 8" spoons last night. Some rubber safe lubricant was applied, and it wasn't so bad. You'll want a 2nd person, though, to keep it well in the drop zone while you're working the last 25%, though. I did use one of these to get the old tire off: http://www.wikco.com/images/mc200a.jpg

Balancing was also pretty easy with one of these: http://www.marcparnes.com/Honda_Motorcycle_Wheel_Balancer.htm

Has anyone heard anything about Dyna Beads? http://www.innovativebalancing.com/ I was recommended to use them by the guy who's garage I used, but I went with tweaking my existing wheel weight just a tad, and I haven't noticed any vibration up to 60mph yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

Retarded Pimp posted:

The biggest problem is that they're a pain in the rear end to put in and if you spill any, you're going to be picking up 1/2 mm beads until your back gives out because those little bastards bounce EVERYFUCKINGWHERE.

Aptartment parking lot is where I do my work, so as long as I don't need what I spill, it's not a problem :D

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

Mechanism Eight posted:

On the subject of Sport Demons I've just been out for the first ride after replacing my GS500's squared-off rear tyre. My word, it's like it can actually handle again :aaa:

Yeah, I did my tires and my clutch in the same weekend, and it's not like riding a 27 year old bike anymore! I've also put about 300 miles on the tires so far, and officially have chicken strips, although I'm not certain that even if I put a peg down, they'd go away: another ride said I got 'pretty close', and there's no sign of wear the last 3/4" on the rear tire. It's nice though not to have to balance on the squared off corner in a turn now, it just tracks true all the way through the lean.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

Here4DaGangBang posted:

I was countersteering, and trying to stay relaxed on the bars at all times. I just feel like I can't lean as far to the right as I can to the left. When you hear "weight the inside peg", what does this mean exactly? Just slightly bias your weight to the inside foot, or put as much of your weight as possible through it? I also struggle a bit with looking forward to where I'm going while still being confident that my placement within my lane is good and I'm not going to put a wheel on the shoulder or cross the centre line. This is stuff for another thread I guess. I probably just need to ride more!

It's likely all mental. My first season, I felt much more confident in left turns. My first ride of the next spring I had forgotten all about it, and instantly felt fine leaning the bike either way.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
Just ordered a set of Pilot Powers (120/60-17 & 160/60-17) for my new-to-me 2000 Monster 750. Debated looking for something with a reputation for longevity, but I was able to get the Powers for $194, and it's hard to argue with that price on a known very sticky tire.

What would you guys recommend if I was looking for something more durable for next time? I'm probably only putting down about 60hp, and although it is a sporty bike, I probably won't be dragging my knee on freeway ramps, let alone tracking it. Given that that people claim the powers are sticky enough for a 130+hp bike, I'd think there'd be something that might get me a few extra thousand miles out to put on at my next tire change?

• Locked thread