Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It is one lane each way, no shoulder. I found it on Google Maps:

There's some scope for making it narrower without pushing vehicles over the centerline, I guess. I think with the way local traffic behaves, though, you'd end up with people giving your obstructions a wide berth in favor of going over the centerline at high speed. Which would usually work fine, as it's a low-traffic road...buuuuut if there is a car coming the other way...
That is two lanes. You only need one. No middle line. Just wide enough that two cars can barely pass each other.

No one is driving 40 MPH on that street.

That is just a random street in a purely residential area of a small town

Here's another one:

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Apr 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The goal is to make it undesirable for anyone to drive on the street, unless their destination is an address on that street. Everyone else can use larger throughfare roads.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Ahh, I see, thank you for the detailed explanation.

That said,

nielsm posted:

The goal is to make it undesirable for anyone to drive on the street, unless their destination is an address on that street. Everyone else can use larger throughfare roads.

one of the big issues around here is that the roads are super haphazard. There's a small number of stroads and 1 freeway, but everything else is a vast tangle of residential roads. I assume that central planning has basically shrugged and said "it'd cost billions to make a system that makes sense, so we aren't going to". Which in turn leads to people doing 40MPH on residential roads because they're the most direct route by far to their destination. If you slowed traffic down to 20MPH using traffic calming measures, you'd still have people using those roads, "undesirable" though they might be.

Honestly, I'd rather they prioritized adding more shoulders/sidewalks, because nothing's walkable outside of your immediate residential neighborhood, and bicycling anywhere would be terrifying.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Ahh, I see, thank you for the detailed explanation.
The big thing to understand is that you want to design the street/road in such a way that people inherently drive the speed you want them to.

However, that requires you to think about what speeds you want people to drive. Is the priority getting people from A to B as quickly as possible? Or is the emphasis on making the street safe for cars, bicycles, children playing on it?

There are tons of different ways to achieve that goal. Some of them very easy and simple to implement, others requiring a lot more investment. The thing is that you need to recognize that some improvement, without being a perfect solution, is still better than the status quo. Perfect is the enemy pf good enough. Hell, Germany is still a very car centric society, it is quite far away from really being a good example - but still better than most of the US. You don’t need Dutch street design as a first step.

Strong Towns is an American/Canadian NGO focussing on implementing those kinds of things. You might want to look into them if you are really interested in actively changing stuff in your town.

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 12, 2024

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like speedbumps are basically never added as the result of a good decision, and often they're added more for spite than anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

SlothfulCobra posted:

I feel like speedbumps are basically never added as the result of a good decision, and often they're added more for spite than anything else.
It doesn't have to be spite, it just has to be something as simple as "slowing down traffic the effective way takes a lot of time and money, and nobody wants to invest in that"(with a side of "have fun convincing most Americans that making a road smaller can make it better for everyone") and then you end up with speed bumps as the charade of doing something.