Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Chupon
Nov 4, 2006

Wait, am I doing this right?
Fantastic thread, if I had decided to do any other discipline of engineering I think it would have been traffic.

Requesting Coordination 102. The time-space diagrams illustrate how this works on a one dimensional plane, but what about at the intersection of large roads? Is there a way to render this in 3D or a better way than to just have two separate diagrams viewed in parallel? What are the metrics used and how are they weighted against each other? I'm thinking of a situation like if you can increase traffic by x cars per hour by making a few people wait an extra 30 seconds, versus improving it 1.5x per hour by making them wait 2 minutes.

Everything here in San Diego is based on sensors, is there a lot of data fed back to a central database for optimization? I feel like with so much continuous data collection it should be trivial to write algorithms to minimize wait times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU