Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the7yearplan
Mar 21, 2007

Excuse me while I put pepper on this cottage cheese.

Cichlidae posted:

Looking at it from this level, that interchange certainly looks up to spec. It doesn't seem to have a technical issue, other than being too close to other interchanges and thus causing weaving, though it could be I'm just not zoomed in enough. Little problems like bad pavement, shoddy guardrails, or low-quality pavement markings and signing can really doom a whole stretch of highway.

I drive this section everyday and these are my observations. This interchange has all of those things. As 50 turns into the Capitol City Freeway and merges with 80 there is a lot of weaving as people try to move to the left to head to San Francisco and others are heading to the right to merge onto I-5. The entrance to I-5 can't handle the volume during rush hour (not to mention the traffic on I-5 itself that backs up the entrance further) so people will either drive really show to find a hole they can get into or will slam on their brakes when they find one. People also tend to wait till they are very close to the entrance forcing hundreds of cars to have to brake and let them in.

This area also has very poor lane markings with several lanes shifting or ending entirely. It also doesn't help that you are driving directly into the setting sun reducing visibility. I don't think it was ever designed to handle the volume it currently does. Roseville, Folsom, and Elk Grove were all sparsely populated farmland and not sprawling suburbs all of this was built.

I wish there could be some sort of beltway that linked all the suburbs so everyone wasn't forced to into the city center, but I highly doubt this will ever happen due the enormous costs especially now that CA is broke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU