Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crumpuppet
Mar 22, 2007

ROBORT > EVERYTHING
This is one of the coolest A/T threads ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crumpuppet
Mar 22, 2007

ROBORT > EVERYTHING

Cichlidae posted:

I'll be devoting a full post to this sometime soon. Things like that are why I put the disclaimer in the OP. (Our red clearances are usually less than 3 seconds, though.)

There's an intersection in my city that has an all-red phase which lasts 5 seconds, instead of the standard 3 seconds found everywhere else. This can be confusing if you don't know about it. I often see people expecting the standard 3 seconds, causing the whole line of cars in the front to lurch forward only to have to wait another 2 seconds for the lights to go green.

If you are further back in the queue, it's even more apparent as you see all the cars letting go of their brakes at the same (wrong) time, just to inch forward a bit and stop again, often a metre or two into the crossing lane.

This phenomenon has resulted in our DOT adding very long shades on the sides of many traffic lights, so that the cars in the side lanes cannot see when the light has turned yellow. Is this kind of thing common?