Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Ha. That's awesome. I don't suppose you have any higher res of that?

As an outsider (:canada:) looking in, anytime I need to get to Seattle, I think loooong and hard about just how much I want to go, specifically because of I5. gently caress that road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simkin
May 18, 2007

I've really been enjoying this thread, and feel like I've learned a thing or three. Thanks!

I've got my own pet intersection that you might be amused by. This one's in Victoria, BC, and just has the most ridiculous layout (okay, not as bad as some of the nightmares that have been posted, but still goofy). The phasing of the lights always seemed hosed up until I read this thread, and now it makes a bit more senes, but still, there's a little patch of pavement in the middle of the intersection where cars can actually be stopped, while all six other directions speed around them. :v:

http://tinyurl.com/nhr5t8

Is there anything that could be done to make this a less ... broken intersection? The traffic's never as bad as you expect it to be through here, although I'm sure that's more due to people just avoiding it.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Cichlidae posted:

To make a real assessment, I'd need to see the traffic volumes, look at what buildings I'd have to demolish, check out sight lines, etc.

Gov't street/Highway 1 sees the heaviest volume, with Hillside secondary to that. The only building that your plan would demolish is a lovely liquor store that sells to meth addicts, so no big loss. :v:

quote:

The way I arranged it, there's a jughandle (didn't someone wonder where they were used?), and I assume people going between 1A and Government Street can use Rock Bay Ave. If there's really a lot of traffic on Government Street, I'd turn Hillside Ave into a dead-end there and tee up Government Street into 1 directly.

Government street is pretty bad for the duration of regular peak volume times, which is just exacerbated by having far too many unprotected lefts across a busy 2-3 lanes of traffic. The really bad (traffic wise) intersections around here aren't even particularly complicated ones, they just happen to be on a route between the city and recent (pooly planned for) maaaaaasive developments. :(

I do like the way that you tidied that intersection up, though, and hopefully at some time in the future, the city will wise up and bulldoze that whole stupid interchange.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Cichlidae posted:

Let me know if you guys are ready for the weird stuff! A lot of it is purely theoretical, so I won't be able to find real-world examples. Exciting, non?

Hell yeah, bring on the crazy stuff, even if it is just the product of a fever dream, or an idle mind trying to escape the pain of having to deal with people wanting signals for their driveway.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Cichlidae posted:

Craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazy interchanges

I was going to ask if any of those actually get put into production, but someone's already gone ahead and posted one. That three level one is awfully artistic, and I'm sure if it had a nice backdrop, it'd be just perfect as a setting for some future/dystopian sci-fi film. :v:

quote:

:neckbeard: Cichlidae, you're the best OP ever.

That photo would really make an awesome av for you... :angel:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

:)

Would there be any sense in complaining to my local municipality about sensors that just absolutely refuse to recognize motorcycles? There's a few intersections that I now just avoid, unless I know that there will be other traffic to trip the sensors - I really would rather not have to run red lights, even if there is no traffic around, and it's 2 in the morning. :/

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Oh, I know all about that little trick with the center of the induction loop. It's getting better around town, especially with sensors that are good enough to pick up bicycles.

Yeah, I roll onto those to trip the lights as well. :ssh:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Cichlidae posted:

I won't tell him if you don't tell ;)

It's a deal. :v:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

I think you briefly mentioned this earlier in the thread, but do you occasionally fire up SC4 just to torment sims with insane traffic extravagancies? The person running the current LP seems to be having a bit of fun with NAM, but I imagine that you could make the program really hum (or grind to a hilariously orchestrated halt :v: ).

Simkin
May 18, 2007

I think he meant chip seal in terms of actual road surface: http://www.slurry.com/cont_chipseal.shtml

I've seen it commonly used (albeit less so in recent years) to turn a gravel road into an actual paved surface, or to recondition an asphalt road on the cheap. It's alright for cars, but it can ruin your day if you're on a bicycle/motorcycle, and don't even think about it if you're on rollerblades or a skateboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simkin
May 18, 2007

The only really positive side that I've found with chip/slurry sealing, is that when it gets really, really stinking hot out (like 30*C and up), the tar will actually bubble to the surface, making hilariously long and smoky burnouts possible necessary.