Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Pawnee and I-135 Why did they do this? If you look at the non-satelite view of the map, you can see that the land appears to be divided up into lots for housing or other construction. If you traveling east on Pawnee and want to get onto I-135 north you go right through a 20MPH loop with a steep incline, talk about fun merging into traffic. West bound traffic entering northbound I-135 takes it own seperate ramp on the other side of the road. Why couldn't they just use one ramp for northbound I-135?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Just how overtaxed is the K-96 highway in Wichtia Kansas? Basically, K-96 from I-135 to the next two exits west (hillside, and oliver respectively) averages 58,300 cars per day on a four lane stretch of highway. I don't know the theoretical max capacity of a four lane urban highway, but some stretches of the 6 lane highway in the area are as low as 40K (some areas are as high as 100K).

Numbers are here: http://www.ksdot.org/Assets/wwwksdotorg/bureaus/burTransPlan/maps/CountMaps/Districts/inset13.PDF

Pretty pictures of the problem are here:

Detail of K-96 to I-135 to K-96/I-235/K-254 intersection of doom:
(the lower half of this pretty :psyboom: but most of weird rear end ramps are low traffic)

Street view of the lead up to the loop of doom:

It's also worthwhile to note that K-96 just a few miles east of hell goes to minimal traffic, primarily because there are four loving stop lights, two of which last a minute, on the 54/5400 highway between K-96 and civilization. I-35 is a toll road so it's pretty bad rear end to drive on, fells like a ghost town when you're up there with less than 15K cars per day. The last fuckup in my city is the intersection at 54/400 and I-235, a cloverleaf from the '50s with loops rated at a blistering fast 15MPH. gently caress that poo poo, I will drive several miles out of my way to avoid that crap. . . But the intersection is scheduled to be rebuilt soon, construction will take a million years and $:retrogames:.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Nov 28, 2014

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Coo, I still think the area sucks balls primarily because of the Y in K-96 at I-135 (and the 25mph loop to get back to K-96 is a bitch). How would those features effect your judgement of the intersections ability to handle traffic?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
My city tore out an old railroad line and converted it into a bike path. It's wide enough for bidirectional bike travel, but it sucks because without fail, everytime I go there will be idiots walking in the center of the path with airpods in, making them completely oblivious to me and other bikers shouting "On your left!"

Similarly, my city upgraded a busy two lane road on the school district boundary line. One side of the street has the poors in the urban public school district, the other side has multi million dollar McMansions in the good, rural public school district. I drive this road to work, most mornings I go no more than 10mph over the limit and just ignore the luxury cars tailgating me. I do this because one day I thought I could appease the BMW gods by speeding up a little more. . . I ended up going 25mph over the limit when I got passed by some douchebag using the bicycle lane as their personal passing lane. There is not a chance I hell I would ever ride a bicycle on this bike lane. Not only are the drivers on this road criminally insane, but the bike path they added is exactly 1 mile long, at both ends it goes back to the old narrow two lane road with steep drop offs.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Devor posted:

Ask them to paint a dashed centerline to help solve this issue

If they do and it doesn't solve the problem, ask them to put up 'keep right' signs

If that doesn't solve the problem, go full Joker mode crying about how we live in a society where no one cares any more

Comedy option: air horn (this may be assault, don't take legal advice from the internet)
The Joker option is the most fun of all of those, but it's easier for me to find another trail or go the other direction away from downtown instead. As I see it, the trail is truly mixed use because a ton of houses back up to it, most people even have a fancy decorated path leading from the trail to their back door (IMO it's practically an invitation for burglars). I'll just deal with the problem and grumble about it on Facebook.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I hate in-ears. At least with big rear end headphones, you could have the satisfaction of smacking them off their head.
The best part about in ear headphones is they do not block sound as well as tight fitting in-ear style headphones. Maybe a bell might pierce the barrier better but I don't really want to mount a bell on my bike since that would add extra weight and drag this slowing my obese rear end down even more. It's a problem that I could try to solve, but I'm fine with just dealing with it.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
According to Google, only New York, New Jersey, South Carolina and Georgia require bicycle bells. It's a cultural thing, American's enjoy plowing over pedestrians with their bicycles, it's why fat tire bikes are so popular.

But seriously, I don't commute on my bike so I can adjust my schedule or route to avoid pedestrians, and all of the bells available in stores are junk. If I actually was commuting and had to dodge pedestrians for real, I would get a decent bell. Even though I can yell loud a lot of pedestrians don't seem to have a firm grasp of concepts like "left" or "right" which makes sense in a way because if I shout "on your left" and they only hear/make out left they might jump left.

smackfu posted:

It’s a problem whenever you have two usages with very different speeds. Like there can be a decent amount of bike traffic and also very few bikes from the perspective of the walker.
Speed differential is by far the biggest problem. There was an example posted here about someone shouting at a pedestrian and they went the wrong way, hit them and caused a head injury. In my opinion, a good bicyclist should plan for a way out either by braking at the last second or choosing another path instead of plowing into an elderly pedestrian. If I am passing pedestrians on my bine, I don't do it at full speed.

Ironically one of my favorite paths kinda sucks because it is right beside a highway. It's loud as gently caress but there are almost no pedestrians, except mom's with strollers for some strange reason. :iiam:

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Fuschia tude posted:

Aren't those mountain bikes? I believe thin tire bikes are mainly for road use though, yeah. But I've never commuted on a bike since I was in New Zealand, partly because since then I've mainly worked remote jobs, so probably half the time I've ridden a bike has been on trails and in parks.
You're correct thin tires, about 1" wide are for road bikes, they are more aerodynamic, have a smaller contact patch, and are inflated to 100psi for less rolling resistance. Mountain bikes (which is a loaded term, is it downhill, gravel, cross country, etc) have tires that are wider, knobbier, and lower pressure, I think they are usually about 2 inches wide.

Fat tire bikes have tires that are 5" inches wide. Fat tires are like riding on a marshmallow, they are low pressure, super soft tires with minimal road feel, and minimal speed. They are good for beaches, running over pedestrians, and people who really don't like biking.

*Disclaimer: I'm an amateur low budget biker, my opinions might be inaccurate and/or jaded.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I feel like this is the best place for me to ask this: why is this loop 2 roads instead of 1?

In my area, roads will often be continued indefinitely namewise. For example, in my city there is a series of 3 residential streets, Mainsgate, Ayesbury and Boxthorn, they correspond to 22nd, 23rd and 24th Street. These are only residential streets, they curve around a bit and they don't continue running east/west forever like the main avenues like 21st St. What this means is on a map, I can follow a road that is named Mainsgate - 24th st - Mainsgate - 24th st etc it just kind of randomly identified itself as whatever street it wants to (I think the pattern is "Mainsgate" if there are houses). Directly south of "Mainsgate" will be Ayesbury, except Ayesbury is like never more than 1/2 mile long just because of the way it the residential streets are curved like spaghetti, I have never seen "23rd St" but I'm sure it conceptually exists. Boxthorn is the same way with just little random chunk scattered about, always just north of 21st Street but not quite to 23rd/Ayesbury or 24th/Mainsgate.

Regarding that loop, my guess is there is probably a similarly named street to the east or west of the loop thus the north side of the loop got one name and the south side got the other. As for why, I think it would be pretty difficult to number a looped street in a way that is easy to understand. For example if you numbered the streets exactly like a clock face then houses 1 through 6 would increase as you go south, and 6 through 12 would decrease as you travel south. The only way I can think of to keep the numbers g consistent would be to take up the loop into 4 quadrants and that would require different street names.