Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

how could a bike path cost 1 mill per mile? HOW?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cichlidae, have you ever worked with trams or roads with tram tracks or any sort of light rail involved in the roadway?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cichlidae, can you tell me everything you know about shared tram/road right of ways and what different signaling and turning lane issues and such they require?

TELL. ME. EVERYTHING!

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 18, 2011

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cichlidae, I have a couple ridiculously nerdy questions to ask you and don't want to poo poo the thread up, I don't have PM's but maybe if you had the time could you shoot me at email at baronjutter at gmail.com ?
Thanks!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

actually now that I've typed up my email I might as well just post it here, who knows the solution and any pictures you post would probably interest the thread.

I'm modeling a little city in a stupid online building program/game thingy and I want to get my roads as realistic as possible. What would be the optimal arrangement for 2 minor 2 lane roads meeting and becoming a 4 lane road in a sort of T junction like this.

minor----T----4lane
.............|.........
.........minor.......

obviously most of the traffic from the minor road to the south will be turning right, and the minor road to the west will go straight, but the 4 lane will about 50/50 split it's traffic south and west. How would the intersection look and what sort of signage and traffic lights would it need?

PS
I'm so bad at these forums I don't know for codes or how to post picture or even how to post an emoticon dude but I'm very happy to be here :confuoot:

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Feb 22, 2011

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I have tons of room since it's just outside the town in a field area, this would be the main road into and out of the city, pretty much the only way in or out so mildly high capacity, for a town/village road. That would mean it would almost certainly have a signal right?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

that's cool thanks, I was thinking of something like that. My lanes aren't divided like that, so the intersection is solid paving without the little grass bits, but otherwise it's almost the same.

You've got a fancy program that lets you quickly make these these, or you got the image out of some library of junctions?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cichlidae, I emailed you a picture and a question. If you have time to answer it please feel free to post the answer/pic here. It's not so much me wanting to ask privately, but being TOO STUPID TO POST PICTURES ON SA....

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What can you tell me about the different types of actual paving different regions use? When is concrete used, when is blacktop used? I notice when I go down to the states all the roads seem harder and bumpier and grayer than where I live, where they're generally much darker and smoother and don't have expansion joints like a sidewalk.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cichlidae posted:

The pavement quality is more of an indication of how much money the local government puts into paving and resurfacing than the materials they use. Typically, places with higher tax rates will have better roads. Weather is also a factor, and an east-west band of the continent with frequent freeze/thaw cycles will have worse pavement than somewhere where it's consistently cold or warm.

Another factor, unfortunately, is the power of the concrete lobby vs. the oil lobby in the state.

Interesting! I'm not sure if I've ever driven on a concrete road other than when I was in the US. Here I guess it's all 'oil lobby' stuff? Thats asphalt right? Stinky black sandy crap. It's fairly smooth and quiet, but for me that's the baseline. When I drove on a concrete road in LA it was so noisy and you felt every drat bump and it was not pleasant. DO they just not use concrete for roads in Canada or just not in my region (west coast) ?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj_1KcGLwFQ&feature=player_embedded

America + roundabouts = ?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cichlidae, that sucks. I've read your thread ever since you posted it, was a wild ride!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Hey Cichlidae, I was just looking at some old pictures I think from the 50's of some really old 8 lane highways. What struck me was that there were no lane markings at all. The closest to lanes were expansion joints more or less where lane markings should be. Did they not mark lanes back then???

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cities in motion is a solid little game and is fairly "realistic", everything's just scaled down. They take cities of millions and scale them down to a city of a few thousand, and they lower the capacities of vehicles to match. Every single person in the game is constantly doing something and makes fairly intelligent pathing choices, so they had to keep the numbers down.

It also has an editor that you can make your own cities in. Actually I haven't played this game in ages, I might want to pick it back up. It's cheap and decent. I just wish there were even some light "simcity" elements to it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If I wanted to look up some sort of road bible or what ever what the heck would I even search for? I basically want to research what the signage and lane painting and general construction standards are for where I live. Do handy guide books with pictures exist? I'm not even sure what to search for here. I live in BC Canada PS

oh I'm an idiot this was fairly easy to find.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&sourc...N9P0j59fWKGMVyg

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 22, 2011

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I'm driving out in the hellish suburbia way outside my city, it's a sort of rural/suburbia area that used to be our hick/redneck area but is now becoming full of "lifestyle centers" and the like.

Anyways, what confused me was a TINY median along a long straight road.

On the right was gravel and bushes, no sidewalk, on the left was a sort of sidewalk/path and houses/driveways fairly evenly spaced. The entire road was straight for almost a kilometer without any other roads intersecting it.

And, for absolutely no apparent reason was a tiny, maybe 2-3m long median in the road. Why would they add this? Is it to keep drivers attentive? Some random small object for someone to hit in an otherwise long unobstructed road??

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=langf...,59.36,,0,14.17

WHY DOES THAT EXIST???

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah, they tried to turn a ex-urban / rural area into a suburban area so they cut up roads to make them all awful dead-end "calmed" roads. It's extremely confusing to drive around there. A mix of dirty rural lanes, dead-end suburban masses, and jammed highways and parkways...

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

In a typical city intersection with curb-side parking, what's the minimum distance from the intersection with "no parking" signage/paint ?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

What's the source on this and why are none of the axis labelled?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've heard that traffic is not like a liquid that just needs the right width of a channel to flow through, but like a gas, that will simply fill all available space.

Maybe the OP or others can correct me if i'm being overly simplistic, but basically if you build a road or highway, it will fill up to a barely tolerable level of traffic within a few years. Double the highway? A few years you get double the traffic, it never solves anything. All that happens is that it encourages more people to drive, and allows more sprawl.

Wasn't there some case in NYC where they shut down some fairly important and very clogged street and all the traffic "experts" freaked out that it would clog all the nearby streets while a few locals say "nah, they'll just choose another way to get around" and not only did the neighbouring streets not experience the "over-flow" but overall traffic in the area improved?

If you build it, they will drive on it. If you don't built it, they'll walk or take the train. Cars are a pretty comfortable way of getting around, and if you make it too easy people are quickly seduced. Make driving not so pleasant, allow terrible traffic to act as a moderating factor, and people will get around another way. The key though, and what's lacking in north america, is that the "other way" is generally horrible or non-existing.

I bet you anything those dutch maps increase in traffic do not correspond to increases in population, but rather increases in highway capacity.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

That's a crazy metro. It's going through such ridiculously low-density areas and the stations are so spread out, it's more of a suburban railway? I guess it makes sense though as they're all just huge park and ride facilities rather than small pedestrian focused stations ever 600-1000m apart like usual.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've grown up somewhere without these massive town-sized interchanges and highways and it's shocking the amount of land they waste from these pictures. Not just the land directly under the roads, but they seem to create acres and acres of isolated dead space or seemingly pointless huge grass or dirt fields around them. I understand you can't exactly front a building on an offramp but there's got to be a better use for all that land. Has anyone ever tried anything? Pedestrian tunnels and buildings? Community farms? Anything? Seriously, you could fit the entire population of the suburb they are serving within the interchange. America is so past the absolute extreme of diminishing returns of highway infrastructure and it just keeps pushing them, I don't understand why this is normal.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Nov 17, 2011

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Holy poo poo a stop sign and like 10m to merge into highway traffic that's insane!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Those are some of the worst suburban road layouts I've seen.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Just the lack of any pedestrian/cycling connections, the whole place just has 1 route in or out, if you want to walk to your friend's house just a block over you have to walk in a huge ridiculous C shape rather than a straight line. Maybe I just haven't been exposed to enough horrible suburbs but even the worst I've seen always have some way to walk between the dead-ends. So cars are stuck on a ridiculous linear route but people can walk in more of a grid, if that makes sense what I'm describing?

Also re-looking at that link it doesn't look at all how I remember, in fact nothing. I think I was looking at some other suburb... that one IS pretty bad though still but not at all among the worst.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Nov 25, 2011

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I don't even know what that is!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The US really needs fines like some countries in europe, where it's not a set amount but a % of your yearly income. Rich piece of poo poo drives in HOV lane or speeds dangerously not caring about a ticket? He will care when that ticket is $200,000. Poor person late for work speeds and gets a ticket? Can still afford to eat afterwards.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What else do they make those guard rails out of? All the ones here just seem to be a steel or metal of some sort and i've never seen them rusty.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

That's crazy! Those are functional safety devices, not decorations. Also the rust look like poo poo. It's like building a bridge or something out of rust. What the hell that is insane. So I guess all the ones where I live are galvanized?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

One day a lovely stagnant town will develop a sidewalk improvement so wonderful, it will magically revitalize the town. Until then we get 3 flooded thousands of dollars each garbage cans and poorly thought out stamped concrete...

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

FORUMS USER 1135 posted:

One of my hometown favorites is "Downtown Dadeland" from Miami. Dadeland is an interior facing suburban shopping mall that is best known among old Miamians for being a great spot for dove hunting 40 years ago. The city powers that be however decided that it was going to house all the nightlife for the economic powerhouse that it fed.
Artists rendering:

How it is now:
http://g.co/maps/6p83p
all the stores in the interior area keep going out of business

They made a few key mistakes in their plan to make it attractive for pedestrians. First of all the sidewalks needed to be wider and the arcades not taking up the entire sidewalk. Second they needed to make the street feel more pedestrian. Low curbs and sidewalks that seem to fluidly change to the parking surface. Next they needed to get rid of all the view obstructing pillars in the architecture, so anyone standing on the street can, at a glance, see all the shops around them.

At the moment it's a cramped dark tunnel of an arcade.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

In my city in canada we've got almost all our crosswalks replaced with the counter things. It's great for peds to know how long they have, and it's great for drivers knowing exactly when that light is going to turn yellow. I love em!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Man that's the worst place for a tanker fire. Contrary to lovely arm-chair 9/11 truther "engineers" the heat from a fuel fire can totally weaken metal enough to cause an overpass (or building) to fall down. It's happened a few times with some older overpasses.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

THis is a stupid question but no amount of googlin' or reading 100+ meg traffic handbooks will tell me how thick and how far apart double yellow lines should be. I'm sick at home and unable to just run out and measure some my self. I'm guessing about 5" thick and maybe 1' apart ? Is there a specific standard?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So .625mm in N scale, uhg that's thin! Looks like I'm going to need a new paint pen. But drat it I will have fully realistic roads!!

**EARTH SHATTERING UPDATE**
My yellow gel pen is .6mm I'm GOLD

Now I just need to figure out which streets need double yellow and which need single yellow. They're pretty much all just downtown 2 lane streets with street parking. I'm guessing single yellow is fine for that?

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Dec 22, 2011

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cichlidae posted:

Ours are 4" wide, with a 4" gap, so the same as Canada's. And single yellow line is outlawed in the latest MUTCD, so use double everywhere.

Edit: Unless you have passing zones, a raised island, or a two-way left turn lane.

Single yellow seems to be what 90% of the street around here have. Either no line, single yellow, or when there's 4+ lanes double yellow. Why are they outlawing them? Single yellow = you can pass if safe double yellow = DON'T TREAD ON ME. How will they show lines you can pass on? Dashed yellow?

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Dec 22, 2011

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Hey Cichlidae what's with that station just to the right of this interchange? Looks like it was a commuter train station or metro station of some sort but it's missing most of its tracks. Some abandoned station that freight just goes through?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's such a shame we simply chose not to have good transport on this continent. Here a city needs like a million people before anyone even considers some rail based transit, and even then by that point it's a drop in the bucket. In most of europe, every town of 20K + has a busy train station and its totally normal for cities under 200k to have well developed trams and busways and such. There's no "oh but we're a big country" argument, it's purely a choice and we chose wrong.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What do the squiggly consummate-v lines on the roads mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

drat I want to play with that program. I'm sure people have asked before but what is it and how hard is it to use?