Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

I have a bad feeling about this...
This question may have more to do with driver psychology than road design, but I'll ask anyway. I drive the Palmer-Wasilla Highway on a regular basis. It's mostly straight with a few shallow curves around hills and such. Near town on either end of it the speed limit is 45, which makes sense to due all the traffic entering and exiting the road. However, for most of the length the speed limit is 55. Now we get to that differential problem you mentioned way back. For some bizarre reason, at least 50% of the traffic on will only drive 40 to 45. This makes life extremely frustrating for the rest of us who are paying attention to signs. And it only happens on this road! All the other major ones seem fine. So, is this sort of going-too-slow issue a problem in other areas that are moderately suburban? Or, are Alaskans just morons who don't pay attention to signs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

Cichlidae posted:

I see behavior like that when a speed limit abruptly changes to a higher value. Have you noticed that, when the limit drops by a significant margin, we put up big yellow signs that say "REDUCE SPEED AHEAD" and the like? Well, there's no equivalent for raising the limit. I'd say that most motorists just legitimately don't notice it. Do you pay attention to every single speed limit sign you see, or just the first one on the road?

I'm a paranoid driver, so I try to pay attention. But yea, I suppose the innocuous white signs are easy to miss. Maybe they should outline them with another color to make them stand out more. :crossarms:

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

Cichlidae posted:

Of course, people could just be trying to save gas. I read about hypermilers today, and those guys are nuts! Tailgating semitrailers, running through stop signs and red lights, driving extra slow to save fuel... it only takes a few of them to make it seem like everyone's going 10 below.

Most of these people are driving trucks and SUVs. I think they're just dumb.