Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

problematique
Apr 3, 2008

What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it.

voltron posted:

Hey Cichlidae, awesome thread. I have a traffic question about a stupid light timing issue that has bugged me so much that I’ve written several E-mails to the local VDOT (Virginia Department of Transportation) to no avail.

My relatively short 3 mile commute is littered with horribly timed red-lights that are impossible to make unless it’s very early in the morning (before 6am) or very late at night (after 1am). Any information or insight into the absolute idiocy that is the local VDOT light-timing would be awesome.

First, here’s a map of my commute. I used to just take Route 28 down to work but they are removing the lights on that road to turn it into a highway. It doesn’t matter, traffic would flow in herds on that road anyway as all the cars moved from red-light to red-light (as if we were missing behind the green by just 10 seconds or so). http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...7,0.077162&z=14

Starting from the red dot, now I drive down and hit the first light at Nokes Blvd. Even if I come to Nokes Blvd, stop at the red light first in line, continue to drive through at/or above the speed limit, 90% of the time, Dulles Crossing Plaza will be turning red, just as I arrive (not enough time to pass on yellow).

While waiting at Nokes Blvd, the Dulles Crossing Plaza (DCP) light is green although there is no traffic, the traffic out of the strip mall on either side is always waiting while no one passes on Atlantic Blvd. Just a few hundred feet down from DCP is Dulles Eastern Plaza (DEP) which is always green while waiting at a red light at DCP! As soon as the DCP turns green, the DEP turns red on the way. There is no way any car could beat the red; it’s well known in the area that anyone speeding to pass DEP after having waited at the DCP is new to the area. The locals are the ones just trotting over to the DEP light knowing it will turn red in a few short seconds.

Anyway, rinse/repeat this whole scenario between the DEP light and the light at Severn Rd. Anyone trying to beat the light will find themselves zooming towards a green light just to have it turn red before you have time to make it through.

So to ask my question, why are the lights timed such that it’s green ahead (with no traffic) while I’m at the previous light waiting at a red light. Why do the lights turn red if the previous light just turned green to move the traffic along? Why is VDOT moving traffic along Atlantic Blvd like herds of sheep? It’s loving driving me insane.

I think the reason the light is always red at DCP is that most people coming from Atlantic or Nokes turn right, some left, but mostly right at DCP. Since so few go straight they have it red. Atlantic isn't supposed to be smooth. I think the designers assumed that people would be using 28. I'm pretty familiar with the area and if you jumped on 28 you'd get to Orbital pretty quick, even quicker now with them getting rid of the lights in that area.

In any case I have to contend with driving from Lowes Island area on 7 to Tysons which really is a red light traffic nightmare if you hit the wrong lights. Though when there's not to much traffic and everyone drives the speed limit or slightly below you can make it through most on green.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

problematique
Apr 3, 2008

What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it.
In Europe many traffic lights turn red -> yellow -> green, why -- is this something useful, would the USA ever do something like that?

My only guess is since most the cars are manual it lets people get in gear before going, but from what I've seen the second it turns yellow (usually for one second) everyone just accelerates really fast.

found some info, http://federalist.wordpress.com/2008/05/08/traffic-signals-yellow-before-green/

looks like it can smooth traffic a bit?

one more thing, why are some lights on yellow, black, white background, do the colors make any difference whats your preference?

problematique fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Aug 6, 2009

problematique
Apr 3, 2008

By biggest pet peeve driving in Virginia is inconsistent yield signage. Some yield signs have a little note that says yield to oncoming traffic, some yield signs have little triangles drawn to show where you need to yield before merging. Problems is its totally random and you have to guess just by looking at the road. I'm convinced there are tons of not yielding properly (people thinking there is a yield lane to speed up) accidents every year. When I was in Poland last year every yield that did not have a speed up lane was clearly marked with triangles on pavement and a sign.

problematique
Apr 3, 2008

I've seen this in VA in really low traffic density areas. Makes sense, why have to stop if theirs usually no one ever coming? Most people roll through stops signs anyway. I think these should be more common.