Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
So this happened overnight in LA:

Block-sized apartment building burns down in the middle of the night for what I'm assuming is insurance fraud purposes.

It happens to have burnt down at the intersection of two big freeways, the 110 and the 101. Considering it was hot enough to melt signs and crack windows in buildings hundreds of feet away, what sort of damage can this do to the highway infrastructure there? Is that intersection going to be hosed with surveying and repair work now? How do you determine whether something that large needs remediation after an event like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
294 has limited access by design. You can't get on going north up at 176. Granted, it still sucks and can be confusing, but then again this is the metro area that brings us PALATINE ROAD

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
The one posted in the Russia.jpg thread where they've got the dude stopped on the sidewalk and someone gets out of a different car driving correctly on the road casually carrying an AK-74 is amazing.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Makes me wonder if any of those numbers account for the actual extraction/refinement/transportation of the gasoline. Or for that matter for extraction / transportation of the coal to the plant. I know coal is durty as hell but internally combusting liquid fossil fuels is just poo poo for efficiency, granted we've made some pretty big MPG improvements in the last 15 years.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
However did anyone make business happen before cell phones?? Can't just loving turn the drat thing off while in the car!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Cichlidae posted:

That chart is a bit like the ones that show "there's been no global warming over the past 15 years." It doesn't cover the last three years, and it only covers a relatively short time. Look at the 1980-2015 numbers. I don't think we're ever going to recover to pre-recession levels (it looks like we took an 8% hit), but we're definitely going right back up.

The WSDOT decision coming out at the same times as the latest FHWA numbers is pretty ironic.

I guess but if that's the scope of data presented, if I saw those "projections" in either my academic or professional capacity I would chuckle and not take whoever made them seriously any more. After a good ten years of a non-linear, in either first derivative or second derivative, trend, and knowing what was happening in 2008, the 2008 projections are still just straight line unvarying growth. At least assume that there'll be a downturn every 6-10 years like there has been since 1960-whatever.

Now I'm sure those projections are gonna help determine what your budget looks like so there's another layer of political complexity there, but dang.

edit: bedtime for bonzo

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
I live in NYC and they're doing some crazy loud work on my street, do y'all know if there's like a central database for MTA projects at all? Some sort of public-interest announcement function with even some spare details on what exactly they're doing? Is this something that cities do for more mundane transit projects? I'm mainly just curious.

They've painted two two-foot wide channels down the street basically trisecting it and are in the process of cutting them out of the pavement with those big ol' fuckoff water cooled concrete saws. I'm guessing it's infrastructure (like water, steam or gas pipe) maintenance but yeah.

lovely fire escape picture: you can see the two channels painted out at the bottom

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Stop arguing with Fishmech, god.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Also quoting this as a post that was great and super interesting thank you. You also have a very good username.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Just make sure you steer clear of Illinois nazis in them.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

John Dough posted:

Didn't know pigeons could do 100km/h :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml_w6cRtYHU

e: well that or it's fake, hard to tell with pigeons

This is great, haha. Way to adapt, lil guy :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU