Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Cichlidae posted:

It's bedtime, but don't let that stop you from asking questions. Try to ask only a couple at a time, please. You guys ask great questions, and I don't want to write too much about pedantic little things (not yet, at least.)

I like to keep the text broken up with pictures every now and again! Here's what VISSIM looks like when it's simulating traffic. The colored bars on the ground represent what color the signal is.

Major props to anyone who can figure out where this is! I'd be willing to bet at least one goon lives within 5 miles of it.

It's been a number of years since I lived in CT, but I think that's west of Meriden by I-84.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
So I have a hypothetical question for you:

In Chesterfield, Rt 85 meets with Flanders Road. At that intersection there is a lake on the side of Rt 85. If you're coming from New London, you will be heading downhill with the lake on your left. When I was living there it wasn't uncommon to drunk drivers to end up in said lake. Short of draining the lake, how would you fix that?

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
Wind?

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Cichlidae posted:

They've got the same cross-section no matter how they're oriented. Wind really isn't a serious issue with signal heads, anyway, since they're so heavy. The only time we really design for wind is if they're within a few feet of other wires or objects.

The cross-section would be the same, but for the ones on wires I could see that their ability to swing in the wind would be less since you're going to have them attached to two wires rather then just the one. For the ones inside Houston's loop that are mounted on the overhanging poles, I have no idea.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Cichlidae posted:

Tell me about it. I used to be an awful driver (I still am, by French standards), and I got a 100 on the Rhode Island driving test. We didn't even have to parallel park or drive on the freeway. The license itself was something like $15. If you ever wonder why there are so many idiots on the road, then the answer is pretty obvious :)

When I took the CT test in the 90's I did have to parallel park and I did spend a little time on 395. Not very much though. Most of it was actually spent in a Walmart parking lot.