Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Nintendo Kid posted:

You can't fit a bike onto a bus or subway/commuter rail car during rush hours most of the time, like maybe 1 or 2 bikes in each commuter rail car if you're willing to stand by the doors for the whole trip. And from the stops to where you wanna go it's usually such a short distance that you wouldn't bother to bring your bike all the way out. Current city estimates are that about 50,000 people regularly commute by bike in the entire city of 8.4 million. Worth noting that a single day on the subway can have up to 6 million trips, the major commuter rail terminals seeing 650,000 rides a day, the major bus terminals from the suburbs seeing 200,000 a day, etc.

Except in Copenhagen where carrying your bike on the commuter trains (S-trains) was made free several years back, popularity boomed, and in response they have now heavily increased bike carrying capacity. It's still stuffed, but taking your bike onto the train in rush hour is actually possible and encouraged. Unless you're getting on or off one of a few of the most central stations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Carbon dioxide posted:

If there's one big annoyance in the Netherlands with cyclists it's the idiots who don't use lights. Even when I'm riding my bike I don't like them, because you don't see/hear them coming at all, they're just suddenly in front of you.

This, so much.

Nowadays you can also get those contactless induction lights. A magnet mounted on the spokes, and a LED lamp mounted so the magnet passes it when the wheel is running. The result is you won't even have to remember turning the lights on, they just activate whenever you ride, and there's practically no resistance on the wheels.
It won't light up a dark country road, but it will give away your position.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I've definitely brought actual furniture home from IKEA with public transit on several occasions. Rarely shopped there on bike though, mostly due to locations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Carbon dioxide posted:

It's called marketing.

Must be. It's barely wide enough to pass on.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Yes I believe there is a difference in "sustainability" between different CO2 sources. Releasing carbon that was fixed into material and stored underground millions of years ago would be different than releasing carbon that was fixed a few months ago, since the recent stuff (from food etc.) is part of the active cycle, while the ancient stuff is effectively new stuff being introduced into the atmosphere.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Don't some of the particles come from tyres and blacktop? In that case, it would make some sense to limit speeds to reduce those, since road wear increases at higher speeds.

I think I saw a quote from some paper recently, that claimed electric cars produced more pollution from the vehicle itself than modern gasoline cars, simply because the EVs weigh more due to batteries, while modern gas engines are very efficient and compact. And the extra weight causes more particles to be released from tires and road surface.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

It probably also makes a difference whether you measure in uninterrupted highway traffic, or in urban stop-and-go traffic, and whether the gas car is allowed to turn off the engine when stopped. (A gas car stopping and restarting the engine all the time probably also causes additional wear, which you'd have to factor in.)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

fishmech posted:

Yeah, you're not getting that kind of project done quick unless some monster earthquake topples everything so that the crews need to start from step one and everyone knows the bit will be impassable for months.

So what you're saying is to form a terrorist group that bombs targets of public infrastructure in dire need of reconstruction.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Devor posted:

Fake edit: I really like the title of this news story

DC police to residents: Don’t dial 911 when seeing bikeshare users

Are people doing that because they think the users are stealing bikes, because they're parking the bikes in illegal/inconvenient spots, or because they're opposed to bikes?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

ROUNDABOUT!

Who needs this church anyway?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

stevewm posted:

Let me introduce you to the clusterfuck that is the double railroad crossing in Oxford, OH.

Perhaps the road traffic safety could be improved by making changing the intersections to roundabouts (for continuous flow) and adding partial light signal control of entry to the roundabouts, to prevent sending more cars into the green and purple roads when a train is approaching.

But I think the best approach would also involve safety systems on the railroad. Trains approaching the crossings would need to slow down to 25 mph well in advance, preferably enforced by an ATC system. Install a system on the crossings to detect blockage after the barriers have closed. If either of the crossings are blocked, the train would receive a stop signal before the crossings, hence the need for an enforced low speed limit over them.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Are those crosswalks, painted around the center?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Lobsterpillar posted:

In my experience the idea that parked cars calm traffic is unknown to the general public and not really understood. Also they'd much rather keep those parking spaces free for themselves and or their visitors, that's much more important to them

On the other hand, parked cars also makes crossing the road much more dangerous for pedestrians.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

VictualSquid posted:

It was only a few months ago, detailed studies won't be out till years in the future with how that bureaucracy moves.

e: Preliminary summation be the statisteschen bundesamt:
https://www.destatis.de/DE/Presse/Pressemitteilungen/2022/07/PD22_284_12.html

The numbers in the graphs in that press release are somewhat obscured, since almost everything is shown as % relative to the average usage throughout 2019.
But the number of medium distance train trips (30-300 km length) increased massively, and there was a small drop in road traffic.
It looks like it didn't move much traffic off the roads, but it got many more people traveling tho wouldn't have done so otherwise. I think it might be more interesting to study the impacts on businesses in the destinations that received more travelers.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Plant roadside trees.
Sell it as for the environment.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Lead out in cuffs posted:

If you read further back, apparently they cut down the roadside trees. As a "traffic calming" measure.

Oh right. Yeah.

Uh, put some big, heavy planter boxes, with reflective stuff on them, on the side of the road that permits on-street parking. It will help enforce parking happens on the correct side of the road, if passage near the curb is obstructed at regular intervals. They can also function as community gardens, strengthening the neighborhood community.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Multi use path going in the middle of the overpass is pretty dang neat

Now that I think about it, yeah. It solves two big problems with pedestrian paths over highways: People jumping off, and people throwing objects at passing cars. This design makes both much more cumbersome.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

When you say curve, do you then mean an arc of a circle? As opposed to any other curved shape you can define with a mathematical function.
(In video games it seems to be more common to use Bezier curves or B-splines to lay out roads etc, with the Transport Fever games being the exception which instead uses circle arcs for railroad and road curves.)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

How small does a road need to be to not need separated bicycle lanes?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Oh no, definitely push cars over the center line. Block one of the lanes every so often to force vehicles to drive slalom, and stop for oncoming traffic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The goal is to make it undesirable for anyone to drive on the street, unless their destination is an address on that street. Everyone else can use larger throughfare roads.