Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Or more accurately, they pay tax but poo poo their pants at the idea of raising it to a level that would pay for all the infrastructure they use, even within their own municipality.

Modern American suburbia is an exercise in constantly shifting and spreading out the costs of building and maintaining it so nobody has to acknowledge how expensive it actually is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I'm in the midwest and people definitely jaywalk a bunch in the actual cities here(and I can't fathom someone getting a ticket for it). Usually of the 'ped signal's red but there's no cars coming so gently caress it" variety, but we get people crossing mid-block too.

Hadlock posted:

We now live near a major church downtown and every Sunday I'll see people parking across the street and crossing with small children, mid-block, nearly getting run down, absolutely every week
This situation sounds like they should have put in a crosswalk ages ago, though.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I had to google it to figure out what the setup even is, since the angle+lack of signs in the pic isn't very useful & my american rear end has never seen one before. Apparently the idea is that only one direction of traffic at a time can go through these, so people turning onto slower streets are forced to slow down and possibly wait. People have also gotten semi trucks through without issue, so they're not that tight of a fit.

I also found people theorizing that the car in this specific pic reversed onto it, which makes it an even dumber move than I expected.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

SlothfulCobra posted:

I feel like speedbumps are basically never added as the result of a good decision, and often they're added more for spite than anything else.
It doesn't have to be spite, it just has to be something as simple as "slowing down traffic the effective way takes a lot of time and money, and nobody wants to invest in that"(with a side of "have fun convincing most Americans that making a road smaller can make it better for everyone") and then you end up with speed bumps as the charade of doing something.