Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Carbon dioxide posted:

The solid lines are usually actually small curbs. A turbo roundabout is designed so you can't really get in the wrong lane, and you can't go round more than once, because if you gently caress up you will be forced off at some point (often the last road before the one you came from). Each lane forms a sort of spiral. If people follow the arrows and signs from the start, they will end up where they need to be and they won't have to cross other traffic in the middle of the roundabout.

America, learn to design proper roundabouts.

There's a roundabout near me that requires me to exit onto the road I entered from in order to enter the highway in the direction I need.

http://goo.gl/maps/Zn5B8

Getting from A to B to get on the highway requires you to use the roundabout as a U-turn. Is there a design that forces an exit but still allows U-turns?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

nimper posted:

Near as I can tell the turbo roundabout allows U-turns. You just can't go around more than once.

Hah, welp, I totally did a dumb when looking at that drawing the first time, you're right.

But this only works if you enter from the top or bottom. The "east/west" entrances don't allow for this.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Carbon dioxide posted:

traffic gets horribly clogged behind you.

That seems counterintuitive. Why does traffic behind a car doing 5mph clog up worse than behind a car doing 10 mph then 0 mph then 10 mph then 0 mph etc.?

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Varance posted:

Florida doesn't give a care, unless the transponder whiffs because you hid it under your seat or something. $100 UTV (unpaid toll violation) fine every time that happens, reduced to toll plus $0.25 if the road has been updated to toll-by-plate (+$2.50 per month for the first time you get tolled by your plate each month). UTV also triggers if your account has insufficient funds or if the license plate doesn't match the transponder.

Edit: Failure to pay the toll-by-plate toll will trigger the $100 UTV penalty if your account is past due. "Bad plate" UTVs apply to the plate owner and not the transponder owner.

Massachusett's transponder is packaged with a couple strips of adhesive velcro, so I can detach it from my glass whenever I want and just leave the velcro. I've done this to trade transponders with my parents a few times so they can pay tolls on long trips.

Also if the Mass toll booths don't read your transponder, they send you a letter with a picture of your plate that basically says "Hey if you have a transponder and we missed it, write down the serial number and mail it back to us with :10bux: and we're cool."

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

When I used to work architecture any and all public hearings are old people and they are against everything.

I went to my local monthly civic association meetings for a year to see what my community was up to. For 11 months of the year, it was nothing. One month, a Vietnamese man wanted to build a house about 6 inches too close to his property line, so he needed a variance. The city wanted to hear from our civic association about how they felt about the variance.

I have never seen so many angry, racist, greyhaired white people in my neighborhood, and they all showed up to bitch over 6 inches on a lot to which none of them even abutted an abutter.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Echo 3 posted:

What about a bikes-only bridge? That must be relatively cheap, right? Obviously you'd need enough volume of cyclists to justify it, but one can dream...

My favorite bike/ped bridge: http://www.barlettaco.com/projects/BridgeProjects/Northbankbridge/northbankbridge.html

(and yeah, that one was pretty expensive)

Oh hey, I remember that bridge.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Echo 3 posted:

A few old-timey traffic signals in Massachusetts used to use circular red + circular yellow to mean an all-pedestrian phase. The last one that I knew of was replaced with a normal ped signal a few years back, though.

There are still several intersections controlled by blinking green lights in Boston.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Echo 3 posted:

I typically see flashing green in front of fire stations, meaning "this light will always be green except when a fire truck is pulling out." Is that type of usage not in the MUTCD?

Flashing green is specifically advised against in the MUTCD:

MUTCD, 4D.04.D posted:

A flashing green signal indication has no meaning and shall not be used.

The flashing greens I see around Boston/Cambridge/Somerville usually denote "green, but yield to any pedestrian." But I'm not really 100% on that, since some of them are placed in locations that don't make much sense for that purpose.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Cichlidae posted:

Yup! Check it out: http://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/htm/2009r1r2/part8/part8b.htm

That has plenty of examples you might be able to use.

Interesting link! I googled some of those signs, and this image was one of the results. What exactly is the use for the sign in that image that says "150 Feet between highway and tracks behind you."? I'm having trouble imagining a road/rail arrangement that would make use of that information on a sign.

Opals25 posted:

I hate that the new Google maps wont let me link to street view anymore

In the bottom right corner, click on the question mark speech bubble to return to classic maps.

RadioPassive fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 30, 2014

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Varance posted:

In the US, most systems are in northern cities (Boston,

For example:
http://www.boston.com/news/science/articles/2011/02/02/power_plant_plan_to_cut_discharge_send_heat_to_boston/?page=full

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/blog/mass_roundup/2013/12/veolia-buys-kendall-plant-in-cambridge.html (Second paragraph)

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

dupersaurus posted:

It's also the time of year when they start switching to winter gas which is cheaper to produce than summer gas.

I thought it was the other way around?

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Lead out in cuffs posted:

That is an awful lot of fancy landscaping that nobody will ever walk through.

florida.txt

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Or just setup a souvenir shop at mile 420 and sell real actual state-issued Mile 420 signs for some huge markup?

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Huh. I don't think I've ever seen a flashing yellow arrow in many years of driving around CT, MA, and RI. I guess I will soon enough.

Yeah but we've got flashing greens around Boston. A flashing yellow wouldn't be the least intuitive traffic control device I've seen by far.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Opals25 posted:

Don't block the box!

I'm not the expert on traffic design or law, but I'm pretty sure you are in the wrong on this one and that the law generally states that you should not enter the intersection if you can not clear the intersection.

If you're turning left but only waiting for oncoming traffic to clear, you should enter the intersection until traffic clears, then finish the left turn.

New York, for example: http://dmv.ny.gov/org/about-dmv/chapter-5-intersections-and-turns

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

What's the weird symbol between FOG and AHEAD on the bottom row?

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I get honked at and screamed at by police for not blocking the box in Boston. Cop called me retarded for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

It costs $1.25 an hour to take up a street spot on Boston common. I once circled the common and public garden for 40 minutes without winning a spot.