Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
I'm the left turn across the right-turning bus in the street coming from the bottom right corner of the picture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
L.O.S. can eat my A.S.S.

who's down with vmt?

every last homey.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
I love living in a town with a separated bike lane and getting to see all the right-hookings that anyone who's actually been on a bicycle would expect

bicycle safety infrastructure should maybe be designed with people who ride bikes instead of by people who haven't since they were 10, but who took a trip to delft last summer

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

nm posted:

I was getting right hooked before. Protected bike lanes at least mean I also don't get doored or have to go into the lane of traffic for every loving double parker.

interesting

the separated bike lane opens the bicyclist up to a world of:
getting doored by the passenger-side doors and being unable to go wide to avoid them because the curb is right there
riding through broken glass, wet leaves, and other poo poo that will make you crash because the street sweeper can't fit between the curb and the parked cars, and there's no way around it because the cyclist is trapped between the curb and parked cars.
trash cans, because that's where they go, right?
people just standing in the gap between their car and the curb.
a whole lot more right hooking because the parked cars keep the driver from seeing the bicyclist in the bike lane, and the parked cars keep the bicyclist from taking the lane to protect themselves from right hooking.
dismounting to walk around cars that are parked in the protected lane (and trash cans, and leaf piles, and broken glass, and people...).
being unable to turn left.

These are bad things to build, built to appeal to people who think they might someday bike to get someplace but never actually will. They condemn bicyclists to toddle slowly in the gutter, taking responsibility for our safety from us and giving it to others.
In a normal bike lane, I can look over my left shoulder once in a while and stay four feet away from a parked car. I can merge into center lane position to prevent a right-hook crash.
In a protected lane, I just have to trust that some rear end in a top hat could see me through the lifted pickup and will come to a complete stop before turning through a green traffic light. Because they cannot see me, I have to come to a stop at a green traffic light to make sure nobody is coming behind me before proceeding. I can't maneuver, and I have to go slowly enough that I can stop within five feet because there's no other way to avoid a collision.

These things are hosed up.

In short, traffic engineers should take fewer vacations to the Netherlands and ride to work.

e: if you're scared of the bike lane, ride on the sidewalk. you have to ride just as slowly in the protected bike lane and dismount just as much.

Greg12 fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 14, 2021

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
lol "racing" at 12mph, using less effort than a moderate walk

Imagine being the kind of person who discounts actual bicyclists.

"I know better than you how to keep you safe. You're safer only relying on your brakes instead of being able to use brakes, turning, clear lines of sight, and situational awareness."

look at what is actually built in delft:

and think about what makes it different from this poo poo:

meditate on how that rendering doesn't show passengers flinging their doors all the way open in front of bicyclists, drivers right-hooking across the lane at full speed into every driveway and intersection, or mountains of slide-out-causing wet leaves and tire-bursting smashed glass

Stopping distance from 12mph is two car lengths. If you think that 12mph is unattainable outside the olympics oval, that the only people going faster than a swift walk are in lycra, that only lance turns left, I don't know what to tell you--except maybe try riding in your hometown.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
A lot of delay in the USA comes from funding.
We have to apply for and win grants for each phase of a project.
If an application fails, that adds a year because we have to wait for the next cycle. If that cycle isn't funded? The project is delayed indefinitely.

This must look really awful to the elected officials and voters who all celebrate when the local government initially approve a project, only to see nothing happen on the ground for decades.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
Can anyone point me to a source that says leaving a Class 1 shared use path entry bollard-free is ok and fine and a good practice?

I'm tired of hearing about bicyclists being injured by colliding with these things that are there for the benefit of malicious drivers--especially when the bollards that are "safe" to use are "safe" because they break away when struck by cars.

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/news/santa-rosa-bicyclists-death-shines-light-on-danger-of-trail-traffic-device/

But I don't have a stamp with my name on it, so what I say ain't poo poo.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

Devor posted:

It's the opposite, if you have a bridge that is not rated for heavy enough truck traffic (H-10 I think? not highway loading, but heavier than a pickup) you must positively deny access through the use of physical barriers.

ain't no bridge

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

nielsm posted:

Now that I think about it, yeah. It solves two big problems with pedestrian paths over highways: People jumping off, and people throwing objects at passing cars. This design makes both much more cumbersome.

It's a lot easier to throw poo poo at the cars when they're right there. this rules.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
Who came up with HAWK beacons, and why do they think they are better than just having red-yellow-green?

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

Qwijib0 posted:

My City :smuggo:

Because hawks let you go once the light is flashing red like a 4-way rather than having to wait a full cycle, so if the pedestrian or cyclist is relatively fast traffic can start moving.

And for the pedestrian/cyclist they are instant activate so the pedestrian isn't waiting either.

My hometown had/has a ped-only red-yellow-green that would change the second you hit the beg button.

Devor posted:

Also, at least in my jurisdiction, they were really picky about following the Traffic Signal Warrants in the MUTCD to put in a full signal. I think HAWK has a much lower threshold for a similar use case.

ah, there you go.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

Lobsterpillar posted:

Anyone on this thread work in California? I heard recently that Caltrans transitioned from using level of service to vehicle miles traveled in assessing projects/developments and interested to know any perspective on how successful that has been

delays in going through intersections are no longer considered an "environmental impact" that needs to be studied and mitigated, so that's good! infill development no longer has to widen intersections to comply with the California Environmental Quality Act. (Cities can still just make them do it if intersection level of service standards are found in their local regulations, though.)

what's bad is VMT mitigation is fake, stupid, and everywhere. exurbs are still subdividing and sprawling for people to live 50 miles from work and mitigating the VMT with poo poo like "we're having them paint bike lanes green," or "we're going to have sidewalks."

The intent was that VMT is impossible to mitigate, so the impact of building sprawl on VMT is significant and unavoidable, so people would stop loving doing it. But CEQA is not laws; it's just a requirement to study things.

The way to fix that bridge in San Diego Pacfica is to close the bridge to cars.

Greg12 fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Mar 13, 2023

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
it's mindboggling that carbrains get mad that the mean old city put traffic calming measures in the street instead of realizing what would have happened had that quik-chicane been a child

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
is traffic engineering even a license, exam, or stamp?

it seems fake if you can just adjust the model to get the results you want, or make up a regression to get the parking lot as big as you want.

"level of service?" please. "TAZ?" ok buddy.