Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Cichlidae posted:

Due to some fun cognitive biases, it's always going to seem like your lane is moving the slowest. In theory, the leftmost lane should always drive fastest (It's the law here). If there are left entrances or exits, lane drops, narrow shoulders, or heavy congestion, then the middle lanes can be faster.

When I explain basic vs. auxiliary lanes, you'll see why things are a bit more complicated than just "stay right except to pass."

This makes sense in theory, but I've never known it to be true - I consistently notice that in some types of traffic jams and in some traffic jams in specific places the right lane is noticeably faster than any of the others, and this is regardless of what lane I'm in. My impression is that it's because people simply do assume the left is fastest, and tend to gravitate towards it because of those cognitive biases, freeing up the right lane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Here's a question: Why the gently caress is Massachussets so retarded with their placement of FastLane (our version of EZPass) tollbooths? Every other state does it in a way that doesn't cause problems, while I want to kill someone every time I hit the tollbooths on the Mass Pike. It seems the problem is all the Fast Lane lanes are on the right side, and only the right side, while every other state puts them on both sides.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Cichlidae posted:

That, unfortunately, is something I can't answer. You're absolutely right, it makes more sense to have them on the left, as that's where faster-moving traffic should be. Could be a legacy issue, or maybe they just want to take advantage of New Englanders' fear of the right lane to extort a bit more cash! Of course, I've seen entire threads in GBS dedicated to Massachusetts' horrible transportation policies, so for all I know it could be an intentional mistake.

It's actually not that it's on the right instead of the left, but that it's not on both - in all other states, you can get to an ezpass without weaving, while in Massachussets you have everyone in the left lane weaving to the right to get to the fastlane - it breaks up traffic much more than necessary.

But if you don't have an answer, welp, I'd imagine the answer probably is just some idiot stuck them there a decade ago without thinking and they stayed that way.