Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digger-254
Apr 3, 2003

not even here
^^^Right on! Rt 15 is infested with these and there's fender-benders on the ramps literally every day with the occasional catastrophic wreck during failed merges thrown in for good measure. The ensuing traffic jams (every loving day) from rubber-necking and condensing lanes around the wrecks are miserable.

The 91/95 interchange in New Haven, especially the parts where Rt 34 sticks its dick into the mess. What the gently caress and is it even possible to fix it? Specifically, everything involving the Q Bridge and, if you have time after that, the whole 91S debacle. It seems like the only answer is "more lanes," but that's not very likely, ever. Is a better design possible or are we just hosed forever?

Digger-254 fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Aug 3, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digger-254
Apr 3, 2003

not even here

smackfu posted:

Are the MUTCD comments online? I found this page with the changes (I think):
http://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/resources/proposed_amend/index.htm
The offramps are pretty bad too. Signed at 15 mph. I took out one of the caution signs at the exist 37 in Darien once because the roads were wet and my car just went straight when I braked.

Obviously the road is just not meant for 75 mph traffic, and doing any work on it will rain down hell from the locals.

I know, I know... it just blows my mind that when they were designing the ramps not only did some guy say "Hey guys, lets put half the on-ramps on the wrong side of the underpasses!" but then enough other people were like "Yeah, awesome!!" that it actually loving happened. I'm imagining a similar discussion happened when the question of the angle of the off-ramps was introduced, and the reaction was so overwhelmingly positive that they decided to put the two together in all those cases. Many high-fives were then exchanged while the very first two cars smashed together in the background.