Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Someone posted earlier about traffic signals in Japan, so I figured I'd fill in a bit.

Most of the signals here are "jisa shiki" (時差式), time difference style; in other words, your standard "this lane waits this long, every time, regardless of traffic flow". Especially common in cities at intersections that have crosswalks (aka the vast majority). After jisa shiki, the most common by far is "押しボタン式”, osi botan shiki, aka "press a button style" where they nothing changes until someone pushes a button, in which case the current cycle is interrupted.

There are a couple more, but I've only seen them a few times. A lot of times (especially in cities), particular signals at large intersections will have their shiki written on a sign that hangs under the light, so it's easy to see what pattern they're using.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Aug 2, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU