Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Thanks for the bicycle post, especially the links. childhoodfreedom.com perfectly sums up how I feel and why I'm considering leaving Southern California. We live in a fairly "bike friendly" area, mostly because so many tourists rent beach cruisers, but it's still a harrowing experience taking my daughter out on the streets. I don't want to wear spandex and ride 30 miles at high speed, I just want to commute to work without getting hit and I want to feel safe enough to let my daughter go out on her own eventually.

I grew up in a small town, where I walked several miles to school for years and later biked. There was no cycling infrastructure, but the narrow, tree lined streets forced cars to drive slow and whether it was true or not, I felt safe and my parents obviously felt safe enough to let me do it alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sim
Sep 24, 2003

My Imaginary GF posted:

Can you link some of the available lit? I'm going before the rest of our council later this month to argue you make more money by growing your client base than you do by making a vacant lot for parking.
So much opportunity, wasted because ~my parking~

Donald Shoup has you covered:
http://www.shoupdogg.com/publications/

sim
Sep 24, 2003

My Imaginary GF posted:

Any literature on the economic and health impacts of road diets? I'd like to turn 70 feet of asphalt into 40 feet.

See the latest post in the urban planning thread, which includes descriptions and citations on road diets.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Have you see this tread: Transit Politics: The Little Engines That Could Get Federal Funding? I assume you're talking about something more engineering focused, but it would be great to get that perspective in the D&D thread.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

multi-use trails really suck.

I agree with everything you said here, but living in a city that has one on-street bike lane and the rest is a network of MUPs, I actually really appreciate them. I'd much rather ride on a cheap MUP than a cheap bike lane, because one is curb separated and the other is paint separated. Yes, peds and bikes are in conflict all the time. But, I think they enable a quick and cheap separated bike network without the backlash of stealing a lane from cars. I think MUPs can be a good solution for suburbs, which already have major setbacks between the street and property lines (for all that "traffic" they plan to have someday).

Personally, I just slow down when passing pedestrians (1 in 10 will still freak out), but I don't commute a long distance so I'm rarely in a hurry.