Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
This thread is awesome. I would like to use it to bitch about Richmond, VA.

As far as I can tell, no traffic engineer has been involved in Richmond's transportation ever. Most of the traffic lights have no sensor and seem to be timed completely independently. Driving down Broad St. is a nightmare at night; you stop at almost every single light and wait for a full cycle even if you are the only car on the road.

Monument Ave. is a great example of why American's can't handle roundabouts. It seems like whoever laid out that road saw a blurry picture of a roundabout once and decided to create several abortions of attempts at them around the monuments. Here's one of their variations:

Incoming traffic is supposed to yield, but both lanes of Monument Ave. can continue straight through. The green car above entered the outer lane of the circle, and the red car is allowed to pass straight through on a collision course. Who's supposed to yield? It's an exciting mystery every time!

Just down the street is this intersection:

It is just a stoplight, but is confusing as hell since it looks exactly like one of the free-for-all roundabouts down the street. I've been the green car in the above scenario and almost cut off the red car, thinking "traffic circle" not "retarded stop light intersection cleverly disguised as a traffic circle."

For bonus points, notice the no man's land in blue. There is no legal way for the cars parallel parked there to have gotten there, since Monument is one way going east from the roundabout. I guess it's possible that traffic used to travel both ways, but I'd like to think the same idiot who designed three or four fake roundabouts with completely different, ambiguous right-of-way rules within blocks of each other just added another mistake for fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

Brice posted:

When I see a sign that says "speed monitored by (laser, radar, aircraft)" are they serious? When i speed down a road that says that do you see me on one of the screens?
I've heard that Virginia put up the "speed monitored by AIRCRAFT" signs and white lines and budgeted exactly one day a year to actually do so. It's 99% deterrent.

The radar/laser ones are meaningless reminders. I'm pretty sure they just refer to the standard radar/laser speed blah that cops wield.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

Someone used some spray paint on one of those signs on I-95 in VA. I always got a chuckle out of it.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

They started switching to those lights for left turns out in Nevada as well. I was pissed for the first three weeks they were installed when the flashing yellow phase was totally disabled.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

I imagine the flashing yellow arrow is also much safer than the green globe as far as making drivers aware that it is actually a yield.