Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Billy Maize posted:

I like roundabouts way more than 4 way stops but nobody knows how to use either one.

For some reason, the city where I grew up decided to use roundabouts as a freeway exit.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...013937&t=h&z=17

As a OTR driver, and since that's RIGHT next to the Flying J, I can truly say that one sucks. They never make the road wide enough to account for trailer offtracking, and if you are all the way out to the DOT with your tandems, the poo poo in the middle of that roundabout is gonna have a visit from Mr. Trailer Tires.

It doesn't help that people dart out in front of you, and if you think that's bad with a car, just think of taking 40 tonnes of a 75 foot long tractor trailer through that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Neutrino posted:

Michigan Lefts are a way to reduce accident severity at intersections. They do this by removing left turns at high speed intersections. Accidents from left turn movements can be one of the most severe of any types of accidents so wherever you can, you want to avoid them. I think they are a great idea and as long as you have the real estate, they should be put in place.

That's what the apron around the center circle is typically designed to do. Drive over them to your heart's content.

Yeah, I know that, sometimes though they, the builders, put a big enough lip on the apron that it comes close to being a curb, and drat it, I don't want to bend the lip of my wheel.

There is one in Fernly NV that has pretty good lips on it that if I was out to the DOT bumper, I'd be hitting poo poo.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Cichlidae posted:

Seriously, truck drivers have some impressive turning skills. The only person I saw drive on it was, you guessed it, an elderly woman who had no idea what was going on. "Huh? Why's there brick in the middle of the road? Let me go run over some more orphans and girl scouts."

Edit: For those who aren't familiar with truck aprons, they're the red thing in this picture. They're made for trucks to drive over, but to discourage cars.

Yeah, the only time I run into a problem is when I'm all the way to the back with my tandems.

Which I hate loving running like that because in effect, I now have a 53 foot wheelbase on the trailer. So I turn and a week later the trailer follows.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

After bouncing down and bouncing back up, how would you completely unfuck Donner pass?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Cichlidae posted:

The issue there, if you're talking about the curvature, is the slope. On a freeway, you should keep the slope below 3 percent, but can knock it up to a few percent more if you put up some warning signs. Trucks still hate it, though. So, what can we do? Two obvious answers pop up: level the mountain, or go through it. I think the former is squarely out of the picture, so let's talk tunnels.

Look at Switzerland: tons of 4000-meter mountain peaks, and plenty of tunnels. In fact, all over Europe, you'll see tunnels. On my freeway job in France, we even put in tunnels in flat terrain under a forest to save a few trees. I'd need to check out the geotechnical situation, but barring a major fault, there's nothing impossible about ramming I-80 through a mountain.

Naw, I mean the quality of the road, I have no problem going down it, or coming up it, even heavy. I worry that in tunnels they stay colder, longer so they are slick as poo poo. Donner is always in a state of major road damage. Is there any surface to lay down to stop this?