Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Cichlidae posted:

It's on Rubber Ave in Naugatuck. The project number isn't typical of state jobs, and Rubber Ave isn't a state road, so it's a municipal job. Probably one of the bridges over the river. For more information, go see the town council or manager or whoever you have.
Aha, thanks. I figured since it was federal funding so the state was involved, but I guess if it's not a state road, it's not a state road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Cichlidae posted:

Not only do we have those signs, they also say, "Turn off cell phone and 2-way radio." I'm not sure whether it's possible for a cell phone to set off blasting caps or cause radio interference, but I understand the 2-way radio part. Sometimes the signs will specify the signal to be given - 3 loud honks or something when blasting is about to begin.
Plus any safety policy that requires on drivers to turn off their cell phones is not exactly realistic.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Cichlidae posted:

The rail link from Hartford to Waterbury is a lower priority than the New Haven - Hartford - Springfield high-speed line, but it would still be better than the Busway. What would really be great is a rail line between downtown Hartford and the airport, with stops at the various campuses in northern Hartford and some of the poorer neighborhoods in that area. That is some serious bang for your buck.
One that drives me nuts is how they ripped out the second track from Waterbury to Bridgeport, back when they didn't need passenger rail anymore . So they can only run a train one way at a time, which means it can only run ever 2.5 hours or so. Not to mention it takes an hour to get from Waterbury to Bridgeport which is 30 miles at most.

They have a website to fix it though! It's even been updated in 2010.
http://waterbury-newcanaanrail.org/

Edit: This one annoys me since I would use the heck out of this train to get to NYC in 2 hours from a station that's a 2 minute drive. But the schedule means that missing your train is deadly, and the last train back is something silly like 9:30 PM.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jun 4, 2010

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I think they are the ones that are on signs.

I wish they would list more interstate intersections on those distance signs. When I'm driving north, I want to know how far it is to the end of I-684, not how far it is to Brewster which is near the end. Is that allowed? I know that NY will include the NY Thruway on their I-84 distance signs, but maybe that is a special case.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I was in DC last summer and they had a power outage that knocked the lights out at an intersection near the hostel I was staying at. We were all sitting outside and the number of near accidents was crazy. People just don't see traffic lights at night if they aren't on, especially if the street lights are out too.

Eventually the policy came by and put up Stop signs on the yellow line in each direction.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Interesting. I saw the bridge was closed and the traffic in Naugatuck was insane but assumed it was just because they were working on it.

They were really hacking away at the part that collapsed yesterday.

(The bank in Naugatuck was robbed today too. When it rains, it pours!)

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

EoRaptor posted:

Stolen from GBS, but everything about this link is awesome:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1pHgp5Og08
That's pretty crazy. What puzzles me is that I thought building the piers and stuff in the water was the hard part of building a bridge, and this method would require doing that just for the temporary detour.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

For an actual call, you can always use some kind of hands-free headset, which I think are considered acceptable for road safety.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Cichlidae posted:

Money, NIMBY, political tie-ups, endless red tape, incompetent contractors or consultants, and sometimes just too many engineers working in different directions. Good ideas are a good start, but there's always something that will hold them back if you let it.

You drew new roads through wetlands in one of the mock-ups. Shocking!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I was just in Darien yesterday and the (new?) entrance to I-95 near the whole foods is pretty ridiculous.

The Google Street view unfortunately has an awful sun glare, but you can kind of see the Do Not Enter sign directly behind the Stop sign. In real life, there's also another Do Not Enter on the right, and a couple more Wrong Way behind them. All you see is a sea of red.

Is this considered an acceptable design? Why not just use a traffic light with a left turn lane?

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=darie...=12,213.95,,0,5

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I like how the yield markers on the ground (I guess?) look like they could be one-way arrows pointing the wrong way.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

FISHMANPET posted:

And it's much easier finacially/politcally to get federal money for new roads, rather than maintenance. New freeways are sexy, filling in potholes is not.
Although in the recent stimulus grants, CT did pretty good with resurfacing projects because they were shovel-ready due to not needing much prep anyways.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Socket Ryanist posted:

That's interesting that Long Island uses its own iconography for their parkways. I was going to complain about how horrible it is but I guess there is a pattern and the "N" is the only thing that matters and it changes to other letters. Still not sure if that's better than just spelling it out like New York does for all the other parkways.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

They also love to put street name signs embedded into the old stone buildings. It works OK for when you're walking but when you're driving they can be invisible.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Phanatic posted:

The thing that bugs the hell out of me is our incredible reliance on stop signs. There are so damned many intersections where one flow of traffic should just have right-of-way and intersecting traffic should get a yield sign, it's ridiculous.
What's funny is that just traveling between New Jersey and Connecticut there is a big difference. Where I grew up in NJ, they never use 4 way stops. Around here in CT, they love them.

The interesting thing is that when you get used to one, it messes you up for the other. If you are used to 4 way stops, and you come to a stop sign, you go as soon as you see no one is sitting there already. Doesn't work so well at 2 way stops.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

What's the deal with the "pointless" traffic lights you see sometimes? Just a screw-up that no one noticed until the project was done?

This one is on an off-ramp from Rt. 8. The only road that would see this light is a one-way going the other way. And it's right next to a DO NOT ENTER sign.

I kind of thought that traffic lights were expensive, so it's weird to have extras that don't really do anything.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The scary thing is at night when people basically don't even see a stoplight that's completely out. That's where you really need the stop signs, although it can take some time for the police to deploy them.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

OK, can you explain the I-95 North to Rt 8 ramp in Bridgeport? It's a one lane exit that goes into a tight curve and comes out as two lanes on the overpass. It's like they decided, this bridge is wide enough to fit two lanes so we better have two lanes even if it makes no sense.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Cichlidae posted:

I agree, it would be a bit more practical to have the second lane added at the on-ramp from 95 south. The pavement widens about 1/3 of the way through the loop, but loops are only supposed to carry one lane, since cars going around a tight curve at that speed have trouble staying in their lane. I'm sure the volumes are pretty high, but they're coming from one lane to begin with, so...
Yeah. It's kind of weird because some people know it splits into two lanes and try to hug the sides so they end up in the lane they want at the end of the curve, while other people just go right down the middle and then end up splitting the lanes at the end. Mix the two and it's a bit chaotic.

Is there any acceptable way to mark a one to two lane width change that doesn't just wait until it's two lanes wide?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Cichlidae posted:

I liked Costa Rica's strategy of painting a heart on the ground everywhere a pedestrian was killed. They're not frequent enough to confuse drivers, and certainly not complicated enough to make someone who's not paying attention swerve, but they're an excellent reminder to slow down.
In a few countries, I've seen where they put up permanent shrines where there was a roadside accident. Like little dollhouses with a photo in it and a cross on top. Some of the bad curves would have a dozen of them; it sure made me slow down.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ran out of lowercase C's, eh?

(I love how I can look poo poo up on Google Streetview, even though their image quality is kind of lovely.)

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I love this thread. Can you explain what design capacity mean in something like this?

quote:

The existing Q-Bridge opened with a design capacity of 90,000 vehicles per day (VPD), but as of 2006 more than 150,000 vehicles cross the span daily.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Speaking of exit ramp speeds, how out of spec is exit 15 on Rt 8 South? I don't think it's possible to speed through that one.

(on the left)

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Well, $1300 over 20 years. So only $65 per year.

On another subject, with all the love for traffic circles, how do pedestrian crossings work if no one ever is supposed to stop?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

What is the point of something like the I-84 viaduct anyways? It seems like it just left useless space underneath it, and all the ramps have to be elevated too.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Nesnej posted:

You don't build a bike path by just stripping off the grass and putting down asphalt on the dirt.
Well, the cheap way is to just put cinders down.

If there are bridges involved, that can get complicated. On my local 10 mi rail trail, the bridges were just crossing roads so they tore them down and now you cross the road by a cross-walk. If the bridges cross rivers or streams, then you need to convert it from a probably unsafe rail bridge to a pedestrian bridge which isn't cheap.

Edit: The standards that need to be met probably depends on whether it is ConnDOT doing the work or if it's a trails organization like the AMC.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 2, 2010

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Cichlidae posted:

Our bike paths need to be able to carry emergency vehicles, so factor that into the design.
Oh wow, yeah, that would do it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I've been spending a lot of time in New Haven lately, and they have an interesting signal cycle on many of the downtown intersections:

1) Red one way, green the other, no walk signals.
2) Green one way, red the other, no walk signals.
3) All-way red, all-way walk.

Additionally, all directions have "No Right on Red", presumably so you don't turn during the all-way walk.

I haven't really seen this elsewhere, and it means that if you miss your light, you have to wait two long cycles for the next green (which seems to lead to rather egregious red-light running.)

Is this like the nuclear option for unsafe pedestrian crossings?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Well, the way it works in Manhattan is that there are also no rights-on-red, but normal traffic signals. It just sucks to make a left or right turn because there are always pedestrians in the way. So maybe that is the motivation?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Cichlidae posted:

So, those billboards too bright? Distract you from the road? Call your state representatives and try to get a state law passed banning them. May as well give it a shot!
Last month, I saw one of them that had the live UConn score, with a lot of info packed on there, which seemed a little overly distracting.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Millstone posted:

OP has one of your signals ever hosed up where it displays a green signal to all intersecting roads
In one of the local intersections, a low traffic signal somehow got rotated about 45 degrees, so you can see it showing red and the correct overhead signal showing green at the same time. It's been like that for a few days now, I'm surprised no one has fixed it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Does the "Speed Checked by Radar" sign mean anything? I assume that it's checked by radar everywhere. Is it just put up when people complain about speeding on their road?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Geez, what a freak accident in Brooklyn. Bus turns over and then slides into a sign post that doesn't budge and takes off the top of the bus (and a bunch of passengers).

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It's even worse than that because the entire first photo is to the right of the hedgerow in the center of the road. What the photo is really showing is just that they ripped out the buckled lanes of the road and put in fill and gravel.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I didn't realize there were still wooden bridges in CT. This is in Middletown on West St. There's no code that says this kind of thing has to be replaced by now? (The approaches are steep enough and the bridge is narrow enough that it needs Stop signs on both ends to make sure people don't blindly fly through it and collide head-on.)

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Cichlidae posted:

Consider yourself lucky; if it were New England, we'd put a stop sign instead, and everyone would be driving 15 over the limit. :)

I do wonder what the accident rates are like on the Merritt Parkway where they have these. I saw a backup of 5-6 cars trying to get out of the rest stop yesterday because the person in front had an old car and was waiting for a space big enough to accelerate in, that just wasn't going to happen.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I suppose it helps too that the Merritt Parkway on-ramps do seem especially dangerous. So people take a lot more care than a typical merge. And there is only a certain level of traffic where they are really bad, where the cars are going 65 and there are small gaps between them.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wow, you weren't kidding about people being annoyed at the Arrigoni Bridge work. I heard bitching from a couple separate people in Middletown, and how it already backs up terribly if there is an accident and now it's going to just shut down the bridge when that happens.

This also doesn't seem particularly encouraging:

quote:

In a statement issued Tuesday, the Middletown Police Department reminded motorists not to block the intersections when traffic from the bridge becomes backed up onto local streets. Motorists, police officials said, should not enter an intersection unless they can drive completely through the intersection and not obstruct other vehicles or pedestrians.

The Middletown Fire Department also is reminding motorists not to block the driveway to the firehouse on Main Street.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 1, 2011

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I was in that same scenario about 10 years ago. Line of cars at a red light, someone hit the last one at speed. The insurance of the driver who hit the line of cars paid for all of them, including my $7000 of damage (both front and back!).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Any thoughts on the new flyover ramp between 95 North and 34 in New Haven? They just ran a story in the paper about how it's so tall people are worried about driving on it. Ha!

http://www.newhavenindependent.org/index.php/archives/entry/yikes_flyover_bridge/

(I think it looks awesome myself, like a monorail track.)